Birth of a Legend

Start from the beginning

She stopped in front of him.

“You’re late,” she said softly.

“I’m sorry… The council was in session; it lasted until first light. Plans were being made…”

She placed her finger against his lips.

“Let’s not talk of council business – at least not yet.”

He smiled and his features softened.

“What did you have in mind,” he said, trailing a finger down her cheek.

“A kiss, to start with,” she whispered, placing her arms around his neck.

The kiss should have been a soft greeting of hello but the moment his mouth touched hers it was as though they were engulfed by flames. Within a heartbeat he was kissing her deeply, exploring those lush, full lips, his tongue teasing hers. He tried to stop, slow things down. He might have managed it, though he doubted it, had it not been for her response; she’d melted into his kiss and responded with equal passion, demanding more and taking more. Her hands had slid beneath his tunic, caressing the length of his back through the coarse flax of his undershirt, causing his muscles to ripple, making him wish that her hands were on his skin. His own hands slid beneath her shawl as he pulled her close, exploring the contours of her soft and utterly feminine body. How long the kiss lasted he had no idea, time lost all meaning.

The kiss ended more slowly than it had begun, as he steadied the tempo and softly caressed her lips. He reluctantly stepped away, not taking his eyes from her face. Her eyes blazed like the finest sapphires, her cheeks were flushed a soft pink and her breathing, like his, was not steady. Where had the passion, the need, the desire come from? Their previous kisses had been soft and gentle, this was raw, primeval, leaving him stunned and confused. The only thing he was aware of was that he had never been so lost in a single moment.

His reaction was scaring her. Did his body not burn like hers? Did he not tremble?

“Thorin, did I not please you?”

“Please me? A moment longer and I would have taken you here and now on the grass!”

“Taken me?”

“You know what I mean… I would have coupled with you.”

Her heart beat erratically.

“Is that what you desire… to lie with me?” She ran her tongue over her dry lips in an attempt to moisten them.

Thorin groaned.

“Akelai, you are more tempting than a goddess, of course I wish that. But just wishing I could does not mean I will.”

“What? Not even if I wish it as well?” she whispered.

“Akelai, I will not ask you to give yourself to me when we can have no future… especially now.”

“Are the men of all races as foolish as dwarfs? I want this as much as you. I dream of you every night. I know that we will not be allowed to be married… but there is more – war. I know that there is to be war.” She smiled at the look of surprise on his face. “I may be a woman but I hear the talk. I know you must go… and may not return, I… I… I want this before you go away. It may be all I ever have. Will you deny me this?”

Thorin looked stunned.

“You want this, knowing I can offer nothing more?”

“Foolish Thorin. If the Gods decide that all I can have is one hour with you then I will take it and willingly so.”

He looked around at the clearing.

“This is not the place for your first time.”

She took his hand.

“Come with me.”

“Where are we going?”

“Patience.”

She led him into the cottage. At the doorway he stopped stunned. She had prepared for this moment. Perfumed roses scented the air and she had made a mattress out of bracken and moss and covered it with a blanket made from coney skins. Several beeswax candles illuminated the dim interior.

She’d moved away from him and was now kneeling in the centre of the mattress.

“I swear that you are more tempting and more lovely than the goddess Freya. I

should resist you but you have bewitched me, Akelai. I too have dreamt of you,” he

confessed as he lowered himself to her side.

“And what did you dream?” she whispered.

“Of doing this,” he said as he lowered his mouth to hers once more. It was strange,

there was nothing gentle about the demands his lips were making but he wasn’t

rough either. He was powerful but she was not afraid. His hands had moved to the

woven fabric that laced her dress closed and she held her breath as he slowly inched

the ties undone, pushing the dress from her shoulders and revealing her soft, peach

tone skin. His lips trailed along her collar bone, lingering at the pulse that fluttered at

her neck. A delicious, unknown warmth spread over her and she sighed with

pleasure.

He smiled.

“This pleases you.” It wasn’t a question but she nodded anyway.

He slowly peeled away her cotton undergarments. He’d never seen such a vision of

loveliness.

“I swear that the gods created you,” he whispered as he lowered her back against the

fur covered mattress. Pausing only to remove his clothing and to retrieve a single

rose, he then moved to her side.

He slowly trailed the head of the rose against her skin.

“I promise that I will make this special and I thank you for bestowing the gift of your

maidenhood to me.”

“I would give it no other. Teach me, Thorin, teach me the secrets of love between a

 man and woman.”

“I will, my sweet Akelai – I will.”

*******

The weight on his chest was unfamiliar but not unwelcome. Akelai lay cocooned in his arms, her chestnut tresses a curtain over his chest. He hoped that he’d made it special for her – it certainly had been for him. He’d been with many women in the last few years but sex was different to making love. Until now his emotions had never been involved, his delight in her pleasure had turned his world on its axis.  He had never felt so complete. He sighed. How was he ever to let her go?

“Regrets already, Thorin?”

“No, never regrets, just sorrow that I must leave so soon.”

“The war, it continues then? No agreement has been reached”

 “Yes, tomorrow we march to Moria, a once mighty Dwarf stronghold. Resilient Orc forces are still in power there. Thrain intends that we should finally take back what is rightfully ours. I’m his oldest son – his heir. I have to go – I want to go.”

“I understand. I’m of your clan, Thorin. I know you have to do this.”

“Akelai…”

“No more talking. Love me again before you must leave.”