Chapter One: Equality

Cordelia's POV
Mom: "Cordelia how did you rip your stockings?!?!"

I fell out of a tree this morning. I branch ripped my stockings on the way down. I was playing hide and seek with my brothers Otto and Michael. Otto is eight and Michael is fifteen.

Anne: "Yeah Cordelia what happened to your stockings." She said matter-of-factly. She knew exactly how my stockings were torn. Girls aren't supposed to play outdoors, they are supposed to stay inside all day and clean the house or something.

Anne is my twin sister (we are thirteen ) and let's just say she is a snot. She is all prissy and a girly-girl. She was inside knitting and watched me fall through the window. She was probably laughing really hard but then reminded herself that a proper woman doesn't laugh. I haven't seen her go outside to just be outside. She only goes outside if she has to meet someone. My family is part of the upper class, so girls are raised to marry rich boys, that they aren't allowed to chose. I don't want to marry, I want to go to school and get a job. But noooo, girls can't do that because they aren't good enough. Woman aren't equal, and the government reminds us frequently.

Mom: "Cordelia, were you climbing a tree? How many times have I told you not to? You're a proper woman." She sighed.

Anne: "She's no proper woman." She mumbled under her breath. I hit her gently on the arm. She smirked.

Me: "I'm sorry mother, I just can't help it. I feel that something is just calling me to be different, to go outside." Anne laughed and walked away with amazing posture. She'll definitely get a husband.... a snotty one with a lot of cash.

Mom: "Go to your room and work on your needle points. You better have some done tonight because tomorrow your father and brothers are going to the city and selling cloth, your needle points, along with some of Anne's crafts. We just need some extra money for schooling. There will also be a surprise for you and your siblings soon." I wonder what the surprise is.

My family doesn't need extra money. We are loaded. But I shrugged it off and went to my room. I share a room with Anne because my mom thinks Anne and her manners will rub off in me. When I got to our room Anne was in there crafting. She had a pile of cloth sitting next to her and on the other side there were tons of string. In her hands she was holding a needle with string in it and a beige piece of cloth in a circle thing. She had her tongue sticking out while her hands were moving a mile a minute.

I grabbed my needle point stuff from the trunk at the end of my bed and plopped down on my bed. I got my needle and thread ready and got to work. I started sewing a tree with flowers all around it when my brother abruptly came into the room.

Arthur: "My favorite twins!!" My brother said excitedly. I got up and ran to embrace him. He was the surprise.

Anne: " Arthur, I've missed you so much." She said politely while sitting crossed legged in her bed.

Arthur: "Oohf. Cordelia my lovely sister." He sai as I squeezed his torso. I pulled back and we both smiled.

Cordelia: "Where's Katelynn?" I said looking behind him. Katelynn is Arthur's wife they were married last year when they were both nineteen. People usually get married when they are nineteen. It's common.

Arthur: "She's in the living room talking to mom." I went around him and ran to the living room.

Katelynn: "Hey ..... Cordelia. Nice to see you."

Mom: "Cordelia a proper woman doesn't run. It's not lady like." I rolled my eyes and she sighed. Katelynn got up and lead me to the kitchen.

Katelynn: "Your Mom is just being kind don't be so hard on her."

Me: "I know. I know... I just don't want to listen. I dot care about becoming a 'proper woman'."  I said 'proper woman' how my mother says it. Katelynn nodded her head and we started making dinner.

           Ten minutes later Arthur and Anne came strolling into the kitchen. Arthur kissed Katelynn on the cheek.

Arthur: "We have some big news to tell everyone tonight."  Katelynn giggled and Arthur smiled broadly. I wonder what the news is?

——————-—————————————————

This is a new story that I am writing. I hope you enjoy. I want to put a lot of work on this story and I might not post the next chapter till next week. If you are enjoying this story then you can tell me in the comments. I really want to continue this story. If you have any ideas for other stories or fan fictions please tell me. I am open to any new ideas (but it doesn't mean I will do them). So enjoy the story :).

-Molly Anne 💜❤

————————————————————————