No Matter What

His body practically flew across the clearing, his large, muscular arms wrapping themselves around her form before anyone else could even get close to her and bringing her into his torso, hugging her tightly. The contact between them, the body heat that was emitted from her let him know that this wasn't just some type of hallucination or fantasy, but reality. This was actually happening. She was finally back home.

And they were finally together again.

“Quinn,” he breathed out her name softly into her brown tresses, squeezing her in his hold tighter and tighter against him. The way he said her name, so quiet, yet so full of emotion, made her shudder with delight. “Quinn, you're back. You're finally back. What were you thinking? Where'd you go?”

A million questions were buzzing throughout his mind, all of them seeming to pass him by at a million miles a minute, but seeing him so vivacious brought a smile to her features, her blue eyes gleaming with love like they always did. “Yes, I'm back, Jake.”

As her voice left her lips, goosebumps erupted upon his skin. He was always so worried that he may never get to hear it again – her angelic tone of voice, and being able to do so now was a blessing. As he continued to hold her, he quickly planted a kiss upon her plump lips, only to be interrupted by a throat clearing.

Quinn pulled away first, knowing that her family was watching their romantic reunion in no doubt what was an awkward position. She blushed lightly when she saw all of them gazing at her with smiles. She knew that they probably weren't smiling because Jacob and her were with one another again, but rather they were just glad to have her back home. Either way, she was happy to see them in good spirits.

Edward was the one who broke them up. “Quinn, you've come back home.” He smiled, walking up to his sister and being the next to embrace her.

“I'm home,” she nodded, hugging him back just as eagerly.

One by one, the Cullen family approached her, every single one of them greeting the daughter and sister with tight hugs and warm words of welcome. They were all pleased to see that she was looking well, but they knew that that wasn't the case as she was asking for their help. In the back of their minds, they were all worrying and wondering what could possibly be wrong.

“Shall we all head inside?” Carlisle suggested.

Quinn nodded her head and with that, the family and Jacob entered the household quietly, Jacob grasping onto Quinn's hand like it was his lifeline. And for all he knew, it was. Their time apart was horrid, lonely, and devastating. It felt as if he were living a nightmare, constantly without her, not knowing how she was, if she was happy or if she was crying. He thought that if he let go of her now, she could disappear just as quickly and not return. Jacob wasn't sure if he would be able to take it a second time.

Esme, who was sporting the biggest grin she had ever worn, brought a glass of water for her daughter, setting it down with care upon the coffee table and watching her drink it steadily. Quinn could feel the eyes of everyone in the room on her, and it was terribly unnerving. Once she had cautiously placed the glass back down, the questions could no longer be held back.

“Where were you?” Jacob started off.

She turned her head to face him while giving her answer. “New York; Buffalo to be more exact.”

“What were you doing there?” Jasper questioned next.

“Just living. I had a job and was just sleeping in a one bedroom apartment.”

“How were you able to afford it? Apartments aren't exactly cheap – especially ones in New York.” Rosalie looked at her with curiosity, genuinely interested to know how it was possible.