Scars

The company gazed over the scenery before them. It was enchanting to say the least. Elves were very beautiful beings, it only made sense for them to live in such mesmerizing places. Though beauty encircled them, the majority of this company were none too pleased with being there at all. Bilbo and Gandalf thought it a rather magical place, while the others saw it as their own personal form of hell. None more than Nevaeh, whose chest burned with every breath she took.

"The Valley of Imladris." Gandalf announced. "In the common tongue, it's known by another name."

"Rivendell." Mused Bilbo.

"Here lies the Last Homely House East of the Sea." The wizard went on. Nevaeh's snort at the word "homely" did not go unnoticed.

Thorin step forward. "This was your plan all along." He accused. "To seek refuge with our enemy."

"You have no enemies here, Thorin Oakenshield. The only ill will to be found in this valley is that which you bring yourself." Gandalf scolded.

"You think the Elves will give our quest their blessing?" He growled. "They will try to stop us."

"Which is why it's best we leave...now." Nevaeh interjected.

"We have questions that need to be answered." Gandalf explained and Thorin seemed to give in. "If we are to be successful, this will need to be handled with tact. And respect. And no small degree of charm. Which is why you will leave the talking to me."

Trudging down the path into the valley, the all groaned about their present condition. Nevaeh felt like she was walking straight for the hangman's noose. She wanted to relieve some of the tension in the group. "Can you believe that Gandalf thinks he is charming?" Nevaeh joked with Bilbo, purposefully loud enough that Gandalf would hear. She wanted to make light of their dismal situation.

"Why, yes I do, my dear." Gandalf replied.

"I don't think so." She teased. "I bet you couldn't charm an ass if you tried." The Dwarves and even little Bilbo had a hard time stifling a laugh at that.

"And you think, you're more charming, is that it?" He raised one bushy brow.

"Well obviously." Nevaeh said, proudly. Everyone laughed out loud, unable to contain themselves any longer. "Oi! I am charming!"

"Right! And I'm a fairy princess called Rhonda." Dwalin laughed at her.

"I could charm any man here and you know it." She challenged.

"Charming and seducing are two different things." Thorin added with a smirk.

"Despite what you might think, Master Dwarf, I do not need to use my feminine wiles to get what I want." She retorted.

"I find that hard to believe." He remarked.

"Why is that?" She cocked her head. The group knew that it would be best to butt out of that conversation entirely. They figured they would end up arguing as they usually did and no one was in the mood for that. They all picked up their pace to passed the two.

"You use them even when you aren't paying attention." He explained, not noticing the rest of the company passing the two of them, leaving them lingering behind.

"And how is it you know this, Thorin?" She raised an eyebrow. "You've been watching me, have you?"

"Don't be flattered." He scoffed. "I only watch you to keep my company safe."

"Oh really?" She smirked. "I've heard the other Dwarves talk about the way you look at me. There's no use pretending." She was lying, of course, but Thorin did not know that. His heart lurched slightly. He did not understand why. "Don't worry, I won't tell a soul." She teased, pressing her finger to her lips.