Stalemate

It would not be long before the company made for the armory. It was just a waiting game. In the meantime, most of the men occupied themselves with mindless chatter. Thorin, Fili, Dwalin and Balin discussed the plan. Kili was sitting on the window seat. Nevaeh watched him from across the room while little Tilda talked her head off about everything under the sun. The poison had wound it's way through his veins. Infection was setting in. She knew it and so did he, even if he was too stubborn to admit it. She wondered how Thorin or no one else noticed the change in Kili's health. She turned her attention back to the little girl. She quite liked her actually. 

"So, are you a princess?" Tilda asked curiously. "You look like a princess."

Nevaeh laughed lightly. "No, darling. I'm no princess."

Tilda looked a tad bit disappointed. "Are you married?" She asked as she picked at the button eyes of her doll.

Nevaeh's brow rose at the girl's question. "No, not married either."

"Good." She nodded. 

"Good?" 

"Yes." Tilda grinned. "Now, you can find a prince and marry him. Then you'll be a princess." 

Nevaeh smiled at her. "I'll just have to keep my eyes open then." 

Just then, Thorin approached her. Her eyes flickered to his. "We're leaving."

Nevaeh glanced at the window. All the light had faded. "Alright." 

"You can't go." Tilda whined. "Please don't leave yet."

Nevaeh knelt down in front of the little girl and grabbed her hands. "How about I make you a deal?"

"What kind of deal?" Tilda asked.

"I promise that I will come back and visit whenever I can and I will write to you when I've found a prince. But only if you promise to be good for your father and sister and not to be sad when I leave." Nevaeh waited for a reply. "So? Do we have a deal?"

"Deal." She smiled and threw her little arms around Nevaeh's neck, catching her completely off guard. "Be safe. Don't forget about me." 

Nevaeh was stunned for a moment, but she finally wrapped her arms around her. "I won't, little one."

Thorin watched the exchange from afar. It was odd seeing Nevaeh interact with a child. He had never seen her be so gentle. He knew she had raised Nero, but never envisioned it. She rose to her feet, saying a last goodbye to the little girl, and walked over to Thorin's side. "Are you ready?" She gave a quick nod and they made for the door. Young Bain put up a futile argument to make them stay, but they were out of the door in seconds.

"Does anyone actually know where the armory is?" Nevaeh asked.

"I think I do." Bilbo piped. "I remember passing it on the way to Bard's."

"Lead the way, Master Baggins." Thorin gestured for him to guide them. The company made their way through the landings of the town until they found the armory. The only way in was through a high window.

"How do you propose we get up there?" Bofur inquired. Nevaeh giggled and stepped in front of everyone. In one swift movement, she was sitting on the window seal, her legs dangling freely. She quirked an eyebrow. "As I said, how do you propose we get up there?" It did not take them long to devise a plan. A few of the men would stay behind and give the others a boost up to the window. Nori was the first one up. Nevaeh quickly pulled him inside. Then came Bilbo and the rest followed suit. 

The town had a decent supply of weapons. They rummaged and collected what they needed. Nevaeh noticed that Kili was carrying quite a bit of weight, more than he should have been. "Thorin." She called quietly. He looked at her and she nodded her head toward his nephew.