Love and Hurt

"I was tired and in the hopelessness of the moment I just gave in...," Hermione explained as the merry troop had once again gathered in her and Draco's room. The Slytherin had left as soon as he saw the Gryffindors, which was fine by them.

"You just gave up?!" Ginny exclaimed. "You fought so hard, you've even outed yourself in front of the entire school, and then just give up?! That just doesn't make sense! You're a Gryffindor we are enduring!"

"I outed myself by accident Ginny. Besides, he bluntly trampled my feelings twice yesterday, once to my face and once to McGonagall. That, and I relived all the times he stomped on my heart before yesterday, also twice, seeing I told you guys and McGonagall. I was emotionally exhausted and that's without counting the disaster with Miss Winter that you so sweetly mentioned Gin. All that in one day. I just...," Hermione faltered. "My heart couldn't take more of his indifference and offensive refusals. So I promised would leave him alone."

Ginny looked around the room for an answer "But! But this is Snape! If you really like him then... well you'll have to break him down! It will take some time, that's obvious!"

"My heart can't take the abuse it would insure from years of hunting the Professor," Hermione smiled.

Harry turned from looking out the window to the two girls on the sofa. "Don't encourage her Ginny. I think it wise of her to realise the damage that evil old sod would keep on causing her if she continued her hopeless pursuit. He's not capable of real love."

Ron sat in front of the fireplace playing with Crookshanks. "Who died and made you so cynical Harry?" he asked as the cat tried to brutally remove Ron's fingers.

"Everyone?" Harry asked.

"I can't believe you're so hard on Snape Harry. Everyone would have died if not for him and his miracle brew. He revived Fred and twenty-six others. He's a bloody hero!" Ron persisted.

"A hero who killed Dumbledore and who saw to it my parents died. He might only have wished for my father's death, but they both died, and so, almost, did I."

Hermione looked up and straight in to Harry's eyes. "An action he dedicated the rest of his life to repent for. And Dumbledore committed suicide to save you Harry. "

Harry only rolled his eyes. "So, you are pro death-help now 'ey? Geez. You really are in love with the old bustard aren't you?"

"I think I have been telling you for quite a while Harry." Hermione and Harry only glared at each other.

Ginny had enough and stood up and walked over to Harry. She smacked him over the head.

"Ow! What the... Ginny!"

"You listen to me now Harry James Potter! Are you going to grumble about old mistakes and grievances that have been forgiven by the entire wizard community months ago and stand by your friend in her despair or what?"

"HE KILLED MY PARENTS!"

"And He risked his life everyday for the good of the magical community to atone for his mistake!"

"That and he saved our brother Harry." It was Ron who had decided to stop playing with a homicidal cat.

"And I fell in love with him...," Hermione looked with pleading eyes up at her long-time friend.

Harry looked between his friends. Then he sighed and hung his head. "Even if I assent to this, it's too late. Hermione promised to leave him alone."

It looked like Ginny was about to pull her hair and scream. Hermione smiled indulgently, her younger friend had always been a bit of a sap for romance stories. Especially Beauty and the Beast. Of course this time it was Brainy and the Beast.