Chapter 27

Sarah stepped back from the table and looked around the room.  She could stand there all day listening to the soft Christmas music and soaking in the sparkle, the feel that something exciting was about to happen.  It had been a busy three weeks putting it together, but she managed to transform the vision in her head into the elegant tables in front of her.

Twenty round tables, covered in shimmering grey-blue fabric, filled the banquet hall.  The chairs at each table were covered in rich, silver fabric, draped in the back in an elegant swath.

Each place setting had a small cellophane package tied in navy blue ribbon, sitting on a silver charger.  Wrapped inside was a ‘Quake T-shirt compressed into a small puck, a ‘Quake key chain and a trading card of the player hosting the table.  She considered staying just to see the kids’ faces when they opened them up.

Sarah owed Claire a huge favour for her help with the napkins.  The team of volunteer high school students had finished them all in record time.  The sheer navy blue and silver shimmered in the lights and the little ‘Quake logo visible at the top was perfect. 

Three glass cylindrical vases, one tall, one short and one in between, sat on a mirror at the centre of the tables.  Scattered around them were collections of shiny silver and opaque navy Christmas balls, in a variety of sizes.  Who was she kidding?  She had carefully placed each one, balancing the size and the colour to create that scattered look.

For a family affair, the effect was pretty stunning.  And the rest of the room matched. There were real evergreen trees.  Real.  With a fresh pine scent and covered in reams of twinkling fairy lights and dangling crystal ornaments.  Somebody had found navy fairy lights.  Only in Clarington, she thought with a smile.  After the gala, the trees would be auctioned off or donated to the city to be planted in the parks.  Truly green decorations. 

The fans were going to love the hors d’oeuvres tables.  Five cylindrical columns, a meter wide, covered in mirror and etched with the ‘Quake logo.  As if there wasn’t enough to look at.

When she looked up, the chandeliers, with their tiers of hanging crystals, were threaded with silver and navy ribbon.  How did they do that?

Sarah walked over to fuss with one of the centerpieces, listening as the group of young volunteers, dressed smartly in black and white and radiating energy, received instructions on how to refill platters, serve the meal and collect the dishes.

Some of the ‘Quake hockey players wandered into the room, looking for their table.  Her cue to exit, she thought.  She stepped back and bumped into something solid. 

She stumbled forward and a hand shot out, gripped her waist, and held her until she was steady.  A zing of electricity went through her and she nearly groaned.  She looked up into Mike’s face.  “We really have to stop bumping into each other this way.”

 “Sorry about that.” He half smiled.  “You should know better than to try and get past a goalie.”

“Hah.”  She became aware of his body pressed against her and the faint smell of his fresh cologne.  Mike in formal wear had her hormones humming.  She stiffened and he loosened his hold.

Mike nodded into the room.  “Did you do this?”

“Not the whole room.  Just the tables.”

Just,” he said, his eyes widening. “It looks fantastic.”

“Thanks.” She followed his eyes around the room. “Well, I imagine you want to look for your table.”  She looked at him, her head to one side.  “This is a pretty cool thing the team is doing.  For the community and for the hospital.”  She paused.  How much was she supposed to know?  “I wanted to thank you for the donation for the Teen Clinic.  It’s very generous and means so much.  You have a huge heart.”

Mike stuck his hands in his pockets and shrugged.  “Yeah, well I heard it was a great clinic run by an exceptionally dedicated doctor.”

Sarah felt a flush warm her cheeks.  “I don’t know about that, but the money will be put to good use.  Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Well, I’m just heading out.  Have fun tonight,” Sarah said and backed up.

“You’re not staying?” he asked.

“My work is done.”

“And mine is just starting”. 

Opposites again. 

“Look,” he continued.  “I’m really sorry about how dinner ended the other night.  I’d really like to see you again.”

Sarah looked at him doubtfully.  “I don’t think that would be a good idea.”

“No really, I...” Mike looked like he wanted to say something more, but glanced over at the other players arriving.  “The river is still frozen.  Will you come for a skate with me?”  He paused.  “Are you ready to skate on the river again?  Or is it too soon?”

Sarah sighed. “No, I would enjoy skating.  I’d feel safe with you.”

“How about Wednesday afternoon?  We have a practice from eleven until one in the afternoon.  I could pick you up after that.”

“Are you sure you want to skate after well, skating?”

He laughed. “You won’t be shooting pucks at me, will you?”

Sarah grimaced.  Somebody should shoot a couple at her and knock some sense into her.  She should just walk away.  Keep going.  Out the door. 

As she hesitated, Mike reached for her hand.  “Come,” he encouraged. “It’ll be fun and we can talk.”

Sarah looked up at his face.

Mike held her gaze and lifted her hand to his lips. “Please,” he added.

Her heart melted.  “It sounds lovely.”

He grinned. “Great.  Can I also convince you to stay for this dinner?”

“You don’t have enough fans?” she teased, with a grin.

“There’s only one who really matters.”

Sarah’s eyes flew to his as her grin faded.  He stood there patiently smiling.  Her heart did a flip-flop and she stepped back, breaking contact.  She wasn’t a fan.  Was she?

A woman with a clipboard called Mike’s name and rushed over to greet him.  “Mike Wallace, thank you for coming.  Did you have any trouble finding your table?”

Sarah gave a small wave as Mike turned to answer.  “I’ll see you Wednesday,” she whispered.  And made a beeline for the exit.