Chapter 11

On Wednesday afternoon, Sarah was off to Wellington Public School to visit Amber’s class.  The school was close to the office, and with sunny skies and crisp air, it was a great day to walk.  Most of the trees were bare, but the big oak tree in the park was slower to lose its leaves.  The leaves, dry and dull brown, clapped together in the wind, as if they were applauding the arrival of winter.

The school building was long and low, with modern brick and glass.  She pulled open the main doors, and in a blast of warm air, stepped into a sunny foyer.  Glass panels formed a peak overhead and drew three tall ficus plants to the ceiling.  Off to one side, comfortable chairs were arranged in a circle around a low coffee table. 

She made her way to the office and three smiling faces looked up as she entered. 

A young brunette walked over to the counter. “May I help you?”

“Hi, I’m Sarah Jain.  I was invited to the kindergarten class today.”

“Oh yes, welcome, Dr. Jain.  Ms. Stanton mentioned you’d be coming.  The kindergarten room is the last door on the left.  You can go right down.”

Children’s artwork lined the wide hallway.  Ghosts, flying witches and hanging jack-o-lanterns were mixed with paintings of colourful leaves and migrating Canada Geese.  She peeked in the narrow window of the kindergarten door and knocked softly.

Ms. Stanton opened the door with a smile and ushered her to the side of the classroom.  “Mrs. Beaubien won’t be long,” she was told in a whisper.  Sarah stood beside Ms. Stanton feeling like a giant.  The kindergarten teacher barely reached her shoulder.  Probably a good size for a kindergarten teacher.  Matched all the pint-sized tables and chairs. 

Patrice Beaubien was a stay-at-home mom.  And according to the white board at the front of the class, mom stood for many other metiers.  “A mom has to do many jobs, plus des métiers, we say en francais.  Name a job and I’ll show you what I mean.”

“A doctor,” shouted Amber, who looked over and waved.

“I take care of ma famille when they are sick.  I take their temperature, give them medicine and lots of hugs and kisses to make them feel better.”

“A chef,” a little girl in the front suggested quietly.

“Oh, I do all the grocery shopping.  Pick the foods to keep Sasha strong and healthy.  And do the baking and the cooking.”

 “Secretary.”

“Very good.  I read all the newsletters sent home from school.  Answer the phone, schedule appointments for the dentist and doctor.  Sign Sasha up for camps in the summer.”

“Policeman!”

“My least favourite job.  Discipline.  Luckily Sasha is very good, so I don’t have to be a policeman very often.”

“Taylor Swift.”

Patrice laughed.  “I sing.  Lullabies when Sasha was a baby, in the choir at church.  We have a lot of singing in our house.  Counting songs.  French songs.  Happy songs.”  Patrice smiled at the children.  “So you see, there is so much.  I love being at home with Sasha.  And doing all these different jobs.”  

Patrice looked up at Ms. Stanton expectantly.  Ms. Stanton walked over and thanked her for coming in, thanked Sasha for sharing his mom with the class and invited Amber to the front of the class.

Amber skipped eagerly to the front of the class and held onto Sarah’s hand.  “This is Dr. Jain.  She’s my doctor.”

“Mine too,” shouted a little dark haired boy.