26

"Why to the wine cellar?" Bilbo chanced whispering, Náriel led the way in silence, though she did pause to make sure he was still by her side. Eventually she realised though that she could never be sure if he was still by her side because she couldn't see him. She could either just believe he was, or know he was.

Which led to her lightly holding onto his hand, it was an action which caused Bilbo to protest meekly. He found it a ridiculous act, it didn't need to be done. But he soon realised why she did it. The more they walked away from her room the more elves appeared. Soon small clusters appeared and of course, upon seeing their Princess they'd walk to her and speak to her.

Náriel held onto his hand tightly to make sure Bilbo wasn't nudged aside. She did her best to deter as many conversations as possible. If she lingered too long, Bilbo gave her hand a squeeze, she often used the excuse of; "I must go find my uncle. Please, have fun tonight." And then they'd scamper off again.

Right now they were walking along a rather quiet corridor, Náriel had informed him of where they were going which caused him to look around confused. "Lethuin and Elros will be there, no doubt." She glanced down to her side where Bilbo's invisible form walked beside her. "No doubt drinking. We can get the keys."

"Ah," Bilbo whispered with a small nod and got tugged down a set of stairs. The wine cellar was full of barrels and wine racks, it was dimly lit and rather dingy.

"Princess!" One of the elves exclaimed. "What brings you here?"

"I'm looking for some wine, what else would bring me down here?" She laughed and passed the elf which had addressed her. She took to feigning interest in nearby bottles, Bilbo stood beside her looking around curiously.

"These empty barrels should have been sent to Esgaroth hours ago." Náriel looked quickly over her shoulder at Elros, he looked at her briefly before looking back to Lethuin and the other busying elves down here.

"Do you see them, Bilbo?" Náriel whispered while picking up a bottle.

"I do."

"That's your way out." Her eyes flicked up to see Elros put the heavy keys on a nail on the wall. "Go get those keys, I'll talk to them so they don't notice." She said while letting go of his hand. She presumed that the keys would levitate in the air as soon as the invisible hobbit had picked them up. Bilbo didn't need to get told twice, as Náriel walked over and started talking, Bilbo had walked quickly over to the keys. Náriel watched and when she saw the keys had disappeared she'd bid the elves farewell before running out of the cellar. "Bilbo?" She whispered lowly while looking around. She flinched and put a hand over her mouth when she was tapped on the arm. "Ready?"

"Yes."

"Let's go," Náriel smiled and turned and started to run down the corridor. Bilbo jolted and ran as fast as he could after her. There was a dire need to set the dwarves free before anyone realised the keys had been taken.

"I'll wager the sun is on the rise. Must be nearly dawn." Bofur said from the back of his cell. He had sat down and tightly crossed his arms across his chest. There wasn't a whole lot else to do when locked away.

"We're never gonna reach the Mountain, are we?" Ori said quietly and sadly as he turned from the bars of the cell door.

"Not stuck in here you're not." Bilbo peeked around and jangled the keys. He promptly tucked the ring in his waistcoat pocket.

"There is a schedule to stick to, remember?" Náriel peeked over top of him with her hands on his shoulders.

"Bilbo? Náriel?!" Balin exclaimed while sitting up quickly and walking to his cell door.