~Chapter 13- Taunt~ Part 2

*

“John? It's Thorpe.”

“I've been trying to get hold of you!” came John's strained voice on the other end.

“We changed our number last year when we moved house. I've been meaning to call but I wasn't sure it was safe.”

“You don't know what we've been going through over here!” John began, distressed.

“I think I do.” Thorpe paused before finally saying, “Garik paid a visit.”

“As in, your brother, Garik?”

“The one and only.”

“How'd he find you?” John whispered.

“It doesn't matter. He's got smarter over the years, it was bound to happen. He told us they have Jasmine.”

When John didn't answer, Thorpe frowned. “So it's true?” he asked. He knew Garik wouldn't gloat about something that was a lie. It wasn't his style, but he needed to be sure.

“Yes. A woman called Erica posed as her aunt.”

“Shit,” Thorpe cursed.

“We weren't sure who she was. We've been trying to find you.”

“She's my sister. Goddammit! I should have left you a letter or something. But after Lora, I just couldn't risk it. I thought Jaz would be safer if I cut off contact for a while.”

“Don't blame yourself. I couldn't drive your sister away. She's a tough nut.”

“You have no idea,” Thorpe remarked.

“I didn't know what to do but keep an eye on her. Then she mentioned this trip and Jaz was so excited. It's the most excited I've seen her be about anything in a year.”

John had told Thorpe about the incident at the hospital when it happened.

Thorpe found out hours before that Lora had died in the same way as Jaz dreamt. Lora's child was a stillbirth.

He suggested to John to let Jaz believe it was a miscarriage and go along with it, even when she came to her senses later on and said she was a virgin. Thorpe told John, “Convince her otherwise. Say she could have got drunk at a party. Do what you have to. Just don't let her find out the truth. Not yet.”

Thorpe knew now it was the wrong thing to do, but he'd only been trying to look out for her. Twice he'd done this and twice he'd failed because of making the wrong decision. It came with being a parent; even a distant one.

He just didn't want her to know Lora had ever existed. It would have crushed her. How would she react when she found out? He was sure his family would tell her eventually, if she didn't work it out herself before then.

The bond between twins was strong and that was the only explanation for her dream. Their bond was even stronger than the bond between mates. He glanced at Eliza as he thought this.

Her expression was strained. He smiled at her and her muscles relaxed. She smiled back.

“I can imagine,” was all he could say.

John stuttered, “I really didn't think she'd take her away. I mean, I never thought she'd just- I-I don't know, I should have stopped her, forbidden it, or something. Told her never to see her aunt again.”

“No. Erica would have still come. It would have driven Jaz away for all the wrong reasons. She'd have gone if it's what she wanted.”

“I'm so sorry, Thorpe. I really am.”