Chapter 18

"So I heard you and Pete are going on a date again?" Natalie said taking a bite of her sandwich. "He told you that?" Elizabeth said surprised. "No, he told Jack." 

"How's he doing by the way?" Elizabeth inquired. 

The two of them were sitting in a booth of a small diner. Though it didn't have the best food in town, they did have nice sandwiches and was close to both of the girls their offices. 

"Don't change the subject. But he's doing great." Natalie said shooting her an accusing look. "Good. And well he kind of texted me yesterday, I mean the date went well like I told you." 

"Except for mister drama queen." Natalie scoffed. 

"Oh come on that's exaggerating it," Elizabeth said. "I wasn't just talking about that, the man still hasn't found a new, good assistant, I mean it has been nearly two months..."

"Ah, well with that I can't help you." 

Natalie sighed. "I know..." 

Elizabeth reached for her phone when she heard a buzzing sound but stopped once she saw Natalie holding up one finger. "That's mine." She said grabbing it and picking it up. 

Elizabeth couldn't hear the person on the other end, but she did see the facial expression of Natalie change into work mode, indicating it probably was James. 

Natalie just said yes and no a couple of times before hanging up again. "I have to go." She said as she grabbed her purse and left money on the table. "I'll walk with you," Elizabeth replied. 

"The idiot just fired the last assistant and now he needs me, again.  I mean I am not his assistant, but currently, I am the closest thing to it..." She sighed. 

"You'll find one, don't worry." 

The two talked for some time more before they both had to go a different way. Elizabeth sighed as she walked the last couple of blocks to her office alone. She didn't mind being alone on the streets of a busy city like this. Some girls would say that she's insane for thinking that. But she actually thought it to be quite peaceful and a time for her to just get lost in her own thoughts. 

She would have nearly walked past her office building, hadn't she stopped daydreaming in time. Casually and Quietly she went up to her floor and got out of the elevator. "Daniel wants to see you in his office." Said Paul causing her to look up.

"He does?" she asked, "Why?" 

"I don't know, but he's looking for you," Paul said shrugging. 

It didn't bother her that her boss wanted to see her. But it did spike her curiosity... 

She started making her way over to his office when she was intercepted by Oscar. "He's in our office, so you need to go the other way." He said playfully. 

"Thank you, dear!" She yelled after him, making him laugh as he continued along his way. 

"Ah Elizabeth, there you are." Daniel Trenton said as she walked into her office. "Yeah, I heard that you're looking for me, whats up?" She asked him. 

"I've got a project for you!" He said enthusiastically. "The man even asked for you in person." 

"Really?" She said not really believing it.

"He's building a new mansion, right outside of town. I'm not yet allowed to tell you his name as of yet. But this is a big opportunity." 

"A mansion?" Elizabeth asked, "I've never done anything like that, how did he even know me?" 

"I don't know, tomorrow he'll be here to discuss things with you, so be prepared," Daniel said as he walked over to the door. "Good luck!" 

"That's a huge thing!" Hailey said as Oscar emptied his beer. "I know, it's just so weird," Elizabeth said sighing. "I don't know man, it just doesn't sit right with me," Oscar replied, staring off in the distance for a moment. 

"What do you mean?" Hailey said confused. "Well she hasn't been doing this for long, how would he even know her?" 

"Maybe because of the painting?" Hailey replied earring a look from Elizabeth. "What? It was on the news." 

It didn't take long however for the conversation to switch topic again. Elizabeth loved the evenings that they would spent at the bar. They had invited her along in the first week and she'd joined them every week, so on Mondays, Wednesdays and Friday's, you could find them there. 

Most of the time they'd stay until quarter to midnight walk home afterward. Tonight had been no exception as they left at exactly that time. Elizabeth said goodbye to Oscar and then two blocks later to Hailey. After that, she walked the last two blocks on her own and into her building. 

She sighed as she entered her apartment and looked out of the window. From where she stood she couldn't see him as his lights were off. She did however still notice the painting on the wall... She looked at it once more before deciding to go to bed. 

The following morning actually might have been one of her better mornings. She dressed in one of the best outfits she owned and went to the large building. Smiling she gave everyone their coffee before walking over to Daniels office. 

She knocked on the open door before causing Daniel to turn around, "Ah, there you are" He said as she approached. This is the man you'll be designing it for, his name is-" The tall man standing beside him turned around too.

"James." She breathed out as a smirk formed on his face.