I Long Ago Learned The Advantages Of Patience

In the belly, Vlex lounged in his cell. Propped against the rear wall of his pen, he laced his hands behind his head. Outstretched legs crossed at the ankle. His eyes were closed.

In her left hand, Lily held the specimen bottle that contained the cortin dart. In her right, she gripped the L-Striker which was large and awkward. All her confidence and bluster evaporated during her march to the manta's lowest point. Now she loitered before the Utori's cage unsure what to say or do. Skin grew clammy in her barriersuit. She pursed her lips once, twice, then said, "Vlex."

The Utori did not stir. Lily cringed and tried again.

"Vlex?"

Nothing.

She let out a frustrated groan because deep down she knew what he wanted to hear.

"Vlex...I need you."

Dmir Vlex's black eyes opened. A slow smile spread his lips and revealed his shark's teeth. The smile withered when he took in her battered appearance.

"I'm so pleased you've finally recognized that truth, but tell me, what has happened to your face? Did Vortrand lose his temper?"

"He saved me, actually. I got in a fight on Myskuul."

"Myskuul...hmm." Vlex's smile returned while he considered that tidbit. He looked her up and down appreciatively. His pale tongue flicked out like a snake's. "The barriersuit becomes you."

Hot and uncomfortable now in her clinging suit, Lily rolled back her shoulders and injected all the authority she could into her tone. "I don't have time for games. The captain's dying."

"What a tragedy." Vlex eased back against the wall and closed his eyes.

Lily strode closer to his cell, but not too close. "He was hit with one of these." She held up the specimen bottle.

Slivers of black shone from Vlex's cracked lids. "A cortin dart? Then he has perhaps an ard. I suggest you make your peace."

"It doesn't have to be that way. Not if you give me your searum."

"Then it is not me you need, but my favor and I'm not inclined to grant it. I couldn't be happier to see Vortrand go. I'm surprised you don't share the sentiment."

"Why would I ever be happy about the captain dying?"

Vlex whipped up, the movement graceful and sinuous as a rattler's strike. "Because you would be safe from him and from the Verakian Command he serves and would never betray."

Retreating from the Utori's looming presence, Lily said, "And I'd be stuck out here forever. I'd never get home and I'd never get this extra...stuff out of my head."