Chapter 5

Stepping out of the warm shower, I quickly dried myself off knowing I had little time to waste. I wrapped my towel around my body, and went to my closet.

      I thumbed through my clothes, saying no to just about everything I owned. Deciding on a casual look, I settled on a pair of short shorts, a white tee, and red Toms. Of course, I had to accessorize!

      What has happened to me?!

      I slipped my top over my head as I walked into my bathroom. Wiping the mirror clean of excess steam, I peered cautiously at my reflection. Oh gosh. I had work to do. My mascara was running down my face from showering before I removed it, and I had the beginnings of a zit on my chin. Great. Just fabulous.

*****************

      After checking my hair and makeup for the umpteenth time, I rushed out of my house at 6:59, grabbing my jacket on the way out.

      It wasn't like I had far to walk, seeing as Scott literally lived right next door. I practically skipped up his front walk, until I realized how stupid that looked and I quickly regained my composure. I hadn't even made it to his door yet, and this already wasn't going well. I rang the doorbell cautiously, something I hadn't done in at least two years. Even when we were still friends, I usually just walked in.

      I heard Scott's little schih tzu Mazie start barking, and then approaching footsteps. The door swung open, revealing the hottest guy alive.

      My breath hitched in my throat as I looked him over quickly. He had changed from what he'd worn to school, and I couldn't help but wonder if that was normal for a guy,or if Scott was trying to look good for me.

      Hah.

      "Hey Klo, come one in." He opened the door wider as an invitation to step inside. I did so, whilst stuttering out a standard greeting as I slid past him though the doorway. I took off my jacket, because it was unusually warm. "Here, let me take that." He took my jacket and hung it up by the door.

      "Thanks!" We stood there an awkward moment, forgetting what the next move was. I opened my mouth to say something, but was saved from looking like a fool when he interrupted.

      "Let's get star- wait. Um, Kloe?" He gave me a weird look. Oh no, was my lip gloss smeared? Toilet paper on the bottom of my shoe?!

      "W-w-what?" Oh man. So much for not looking like a total idiot.

      "Where are your books and stuff? You know, for the project?" I slapped my forehead in dismay.

      "Right. Duh. Sorry, I was rushing, but I'll just run back and get them!" I turned for the door, and rested my hand on the doorknob, preparing for my humiliating exit.

      "No! No no it's fine, really. I have all the stuff we need, we can share." He winked then, almost as if implying that study materials wouldn't be the only thing we'd be sharing that evening. Or maybe it was just an eye spasm, who knows.

      "Oh! OK!" I felt like a total idiot. He probably thought I didn't bring my stuff because I thought we'd be making out instead or something.

      Stupid stupid stupid....

      "Go take a seat on the couch, I'll run upstairs and grab my stuff." And with that, Scott disappeared up the stairs, leaving me to make myself at home. I walked the familiar hallway, and saw all the familiar family pictures, with just a few recent ones. Entering his homey living room, I was instantly bombarded by a wave of memories. It made me feel a little homesick, to be honest. After all, this was my second home.