Street Rules. An Ezio Auditore da Firenze One-Shot.

It was getting dark. Father was visiting an old friend today. He said that he has kids. Boys my age. I couldn’t say no to that. Who else could I play with? We arrived at the Palazzo, the building was far too huge compared to me. Father held my hand tightly as we walked inside the entrance. The door opened before we even had the chance to knock.

“Giovanni,” Father exclaimed as he smiled warmly at his friend.

“Marco,” Messer Giovanni replied. “I was not expecting to see you.”

“Well, neither did the authorities,” he takes one look back at me, a bit concerned. “M-May we come in?”

“Certainly.”

Without further ado, we were inside the Palazzo. It was grand, to be frank. And to be seen from my perspective, everything was magnified. It wasn’t long before I heard the quick pitter-patter of small feet on the floor above me. I felt an excited skip in my chest. How long has it been since I played with someone my age?

“What is it you would like to discuss, amico?” Uncle Giovanni started as he closed the door ever so softly. I was too busy looking at the large bouquet of roses that were unfortunately out of my reach. Father clicked his tongue to get my attention and I stopped then and there.

“Giovanni, wouldn’t you consider letting this month’s case go?” Father asked, turning away from me as soon as he knows that I was done messing around.

“Not this agai—“

Per favore! I….. I fear for your safety. I must warn you tha--”

“I appreciate your concern but I have my responsibility. And that is to remain true to my cause.”

“But, Giovanni…. They will come for you.”

My father was getting desperate by the minute. I would rather not interrupt. How could a kid like me understand anyway? Seeing that my father was rather busy, I decided to take a ‘careful’ look around the house. Maybe meet the kids that I purposely came for as my new playmates.

I didn’t have to look very long as three kids appeared on the staircase in the middle of the lobby. Two boys were running, a very annoyed girl was sitting on the first tear on the top. A woman came walking into the scene shortly afterwards.

“Ezio! Federico! Be careful!” she shouted as she now tended to her melancholy daughter. The boys didn’t notice me until they actually bumped into me. “Oh, heavens! Are you okay, sweetie? Boys, go say sorry, now.”

The two brothers sighed and involuntarily said their apology. I had totally lost my will to play with these two. If I’m just gonna get trampled on if I join them, then I might as well just stayed at home. Their mother approached me to see if there was anything wrong.

“Forgive my sons,” she started, smiling sweetly down my face. I felt happy yet embarrassed somewhat by her stare. Maybe it was her motherly feel that I had never experienced ever since I was born. “You’re Marco D’Angelo’s little one, Serafina,am I right?”

I nodded quietly, still not regaining the courage to speak. She now turned to her children. “This is Federico and Ezio. And if I’m not mistaken, you and Ezio are the same age, correct?”

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I couldn’t resist. I found myself actually playing with the boys. It was awkward at first, sure. But that went all away soon enough. Boredom sure knows how to make friends in the most peculiar of ways. I realized that we’re practically in the same boat. They don’t really go out that much. Meaning they don’t have much friends.