15: Azarial

Liara ran to the group. Azarial happily embraced her.

She was alive. After all their fear, misdoubt, and despair, she was unharmed. The pain from the wound in Azarial's side cut through him as he hugged her, but right now he didn't care. Liara went on to hug Sumita and Kivar. Everyone was too stunned to speak. That's probably a normal reaction when an angel is hovering in the air behind your friend.

Azarial couldn't look at the being. And it wasn't just the blinding light. The fact that he could see it, and feel its heat. It was a real, living angel. This couldn't be possible.

Liara spoke, with a look of guilt on her face. "Hi guys."

"Liara," Azarial got out. "We missed you."

"I know. I'm so sorry."

"What, um..."

"What happened?" finished Liara. She glanced behind her. She had no problem looking at it. None of the other demons were willing to angle their heads up. But she must have been with it for a long time. And she must know more about angels than any of them. Of course she'd feel comfortable.

"Firstly," Liara continued. "I know about the men who attacked you. I saw it all. I wish I could have been there to help."

"It's better that you weren't," said Sumita. "You were safe. With your friend..."

Azarial watched Liara's eyes dart between the group. She nodded and the gestured behind her. She spoke out a strange name that sounded like a mixture between Oui and Kiwi. The angel descended. Its great wings spread wide before folding gently behind its back. It stood next to Liara.

"It's exactly what you think," said Liara. "This is an angel. Named Qui. There are more of them on this island. They brought me here."

"We saw a light through the ceiling that night," said Kivar.

The angel turned its gaze onto Kivar. Kivar unconsciously bowed his head and fell to his knees.

The angel looked at Sumita, and she did the same. Both knelt before Qui. Then Azarial felt the eyes of the angel on him.

There was so much warmth. It was incredibly comforting. He could not find any way to describe this feeling. He felt like he was staring at the face of God. At this moment, all his personal thoughts about religion, about faith, and about the truth of the world, just melted away. There could be no denying his own feelings.

Azarial fell to his knees. He didn't deserve to look at the angel. None of them did. The presence of such immense righteousness was too much to bear. He knew that Sumita and Kivar felt the same.

They were all impure. They had sacrificed innocents. They were murderers. They did not deserve to be in this being's presence.

"Stand."

They all instantly obeyed. He still couldn't look into the eyes of the angel.

"I know you fear," said Qui. "I know you may think yourself unworthy. Demons were cast out of heaven so long ago. But that doesn't mean we have forgotten you. You are watched over. Heaven still has a place for those who choose to accept the truth, be they human or demon."

The angel moved closer. The feelings of peace and love still resonated within Azarial, but honestly, the light radiating from the angel was a little too bright. He resisted activating his Vi Athenemate.