Till Death Do Us Part

I heard it. The gunshot. It was lost in the color of the Gentleman's eyes. In the light of the stars. The color of every breath of life. It was-

I hit the ground.

My mask tipped

and fell from my face. It cracked in half on the cold stone.

I lurched after the mask, but my body did not move and my legs did not move and I

fell

and could not move.

The world spun on a top and flipped upside-down. The ground tossed and bubbled like an ocean. I was drowning. I couldn't breathe.

No.

Not an ocean.

I was bleeding.

I... didn't mean to.

Ah.

He got me.

'The illusioned Gentleman knelt beside me. "He got you."

Somehow, I smiled. "Yes, I noticed."

I tried to lift my hand, to touch that beautiful face, but my arm fell limp. Blood spilled from the center of my chest.

It was a nice attempt, Shinji offered. His words were brave, but he was not fast enough to hide the half-botched illusion covering his face, or at least what was left of his face. Nor could he hide the tremble in his voice. My beautiful red gun was in his left hand, the traitor.

I had fun. He bowed in a low, mocking attempt at formality. I thank you.

Damn

him.

The blood.

My blood.

It filled the world, pouring me dry. I couldn't... I couldn't smell him anymore.

I reached for the Gentleman, tried to pull him towards me. His face... Please, my love. Just one little hint. I promise... I promise to be on my best behavior. Just for you. Just this once. I need to... to finish what you've started.

I promise

I'll

kill.

The Gentleman who was not the Gentleman smiled and smiled and smiled. It was disgusting.

I tore my eyes from his face – not his face not his not his not mine.

Stomping feet danced across my eyelids, feet singing with the voices of stringed angels, feet spinning in time, clapping in time, coated with my red.

My red and dead.

My red.

My.

Damn.

Damn.

Damn.