Chapter Eighteen

Theo stirred in his bed, which just so happened to be a worn out couch. The job that he was prepared to do kept him up for most of the night, he wasn’t sure if he was excited or scared that it wouldn’t go to plan. Theoretically it didn’t seem so difficult but when it was time to carry it out, Theo admit it made him shake in his boots a little bit.

The sun had not even come out when he decided to get up. There was no point trying to force himself to do something that clearly was not going to happen. He groggily rose off the couch and pushed himself to the bathroom. He looked at himself in the mirror and what looked back was a downright mess. It was definitely not the look of one who was to escort Helen Alsandair herself. His messed up hair stuck out in all different directions and his eyes were plastered with red cracks. He also noticed how overgrown his beard had become over the week. Even he scared himself a little bit.

By the time he had finished sprucing himself up for the job, the sun had decided to make an appearance as well as Gwen’s stuck up face. She somehow managed to look the same every time that Theo saw her, how was that even possible? He wondered. She must be human right?

“What the hell are you doing? You’re not even dressed yet!” She scowled when she saw Theo coming out of the bathroom, drying his hair. Yep, she’s definitely not human.

“We have lots of time, besides I just have to put some clothes on.” He said, throwing the towel onto the couch.

“And what about everything else? I suppose you’ve got everything sussed out?”

“Yes of course. You should know me by now Gwen.” Theo flashed a sneaky grin.

“Fine whatever. Do what you want.” She sighed and left, heading in the direction of the bathroom.

Nag, nag, nag, is that all she can do? Theo silently complained as he got into his uniform. His uniform, which he wore when doing his usual job as a messenger, consisted of an all-black attire. Black pants, black boots and a black coat which had a hood. It wasn’t important for him to even wear a uniform since he always stayed out of the way when on duty, though it made sure to keep everyone at a safe distance from him, which was great.

Gwen was still in the bathroom when he was ready to leave, so he didn’t manage to catch her. But he thought better than to annoy her, so he put his hood on and left the cabin. He was going to see her in the afternoon after all.

The air outside was crisp as every morning at this hour. His cheeks already began to become numb and the hood wasn’t doing much to help either. He followed his usual path which was weaving in between multiple buildings through alleyways. There was not really any point in hiding while traversing as everyone was still confined to the warmth of their bed.

When he stopped to look at the distance of his position to Helen’s house, he heard a sound behind him. It easily could have been the wind playing around with some paper, but Theo knew better than to leave a stone unturned.

He retook the same steps until he came to a T junction. Upon looking to his right he saw nothing but dirt being carried by the wind. Though when looking to his left, he found a trash can shaking and he was sure the wind was not strong enough to do that.

He slowly made his way to the trash can, he sort of wished he had a weapon to arm him, who knows what could be lurking behind that shiny cover. When he was a few steps away, the bin came to a stop but Theo kept advancing. He slowly and silently went around, holding his breath. Though what he found behind the bin, was not only shocking but also disappointing. For behind the bin was the scrawny, cowering body of none other than the lost boy himself, Gabriel.