The Minister's Choice

"Miss Potte- Lup- Petti- Black- Miss Peverell!" Minerva McGonagall stood at the bottom of the staircase to the girls dormitory, waiting for Icy and Hermione.

"Minnie, it's going to be Black soon enough, you might as well get used to it now," said Icy seriously.

"Come with me, girls. Quickly," said Professor McGonagall, surprisingly enough not even reprimanding Icy for using a nickname for her professor.

Hermione and Icy followed their transfiguration professor in complete silence, as she led them to a bookshelf, hidden behind other bookshelfs. McGonagall pulled on a certain book, Advanced Transfiguration, Volume XIVI, and the bookshelf shifted, revealing an office of sorts.

The older woman sat at a chair, and Icy and Hermione sat down across from her. Minerva's thoughts were usually well-guarded, but today they weren't, and Icy allowed herself to leaf through her mind.

"You're going to help us?" asked Icy, surprised. "Oh Merlin- the aurors are coming? Hermione- shit- there're female aurors-"

"Miss Black if you'd please stay out of my thoughts," snapped Professor McGonagall.

"Sorry! I can't really help it! Sirius is in our dormitory, we figured since Fudge, Shacklebolt and Dumbledore are all men it would be the safest place for him, but if the aurors are coming..." Icy trailed off nervously, as she spun the onyx ring around her finger.

"Take a deep breath, Icy. He's going to be okay." Hermione assured her, patting her on the back awkwardly.

"What you need is a distraction," said McGonagall. "Sirius can be concealed in the school, but not for long. We'll have to get him out of the boundaries." McGonagall turned to the door. "I need to go help the teachers and aurors search the school."

"We can make a distraction," Hermione said, and McGonagall left the two in her office.

"Remember my accident on the quidditch pitch?" said Icy, a glint in her eyes.

"Icy, no," Hermione said firmly.

"Something like that could cause the whole search to be put on hold-"

"No," said Hermione, "we'll find another way. What about Fred and George?"

"Someone will have to nearly die for the search to stop. Hermione, it's the only way.

"No way, Icy, that would be incredibly dangerous," said Harry. The students were all gathered in the Great Hall, in squishy purple sleeping bags yet again, and Icy was telling Harry and Ron her plan. "You could die. You could literally die."

"I'm a witch Harry," she rolled her eyes, and flicked her wand at him, levitating his glasses off of his face to demonstrate. "See? Death stands no chance against me. I could beat that old ghoul in a heartbeat."

"And what, you just want us to let you jump off the Quidditch Stands and hope for the best? No way. The last time that a student was thought to be dead they nearly closed the school!" Ron interjected. "Remember what we told you about Ginny, last year?"

Icy rolled her eyes yet again. "What's more important to you, eh? Sirius's life or some school that can be rebuilt?"

"You can't do this to us, Ice," said Harry, his eyes pleading. "There has to be a better way."

"There is no better way," declared Icy. "I'm doing this. I've survived that drop once, I can survive it again."

Harry closed his eyes in frustration, and Hermione turned to place a comforting hand on his shoulder. Icy took this as her opportunity to slip away, and disappeared into the crowd of sleeping bags, listening to Ron's fading voice, alerting the rest of the trio.

It was a long, painful walk to the Astronomy tower, (Icy had decided that her luck would be better using a location inside the school, rather than out. It would be next to impossible to escape the swarm of Dementors surrounding Hogwarts.) and Icy had used this time to think, and imagine. She imagined what her life could have been like, living with Sirius, being as close to father and daughter as two could become, without the blood link of course. She had come to accept that this could never be, unless she survived this fall, and somehow, Pettigrew was captured once more.

When Icy reached the tower, she took a long, deep breath. This fall could certainly end her life. She summoned all of her willpower and bravery, and flung herself from the railing, hearing the brief ringing of Professor Dumbledore's voice, before everything faded to black.