The Rejection: 12

The Rejection - 12
_____________________________

               - Hope -

"Jesus Christ..." I huffed to myself, blankly staring down the deserted hallway in utter defeat. Apparently, after I left, the school board thought it'd be just peachy to change every single one of the teachers' rooms, leaving helpless little ole me to be lost like a puppy in the woods. I had only been looking for about five minutes, but when homeroom ends in seven minutes, that's kind of a big deal.

               I sighed, defeated, and sat lazily on one of the random, but very useful benches against the wall. I stared down at the school map in front of me, trying to figure out which wing I was in for the umpteenth time. First day back and I had already run into Melanie, had a fight with Jason, lost my bag, and have successfully lost myself within the school. That has to be a record somewhere.

               "Need some help?" someone asked from beside me.

               I jumped slightly at the sudden voice, but mentally scolded myself for being so skittish. I put on a kind smile and met the girl's baby blue eyes. "Yeah, I'm really lost," I chuckled, feeling relief that finally someone was willing to help out the "new girl," so to speak. She flicked her blonde bangs out of her eyes and sat down beside me on the bench, taking the map from my hands. Her eyes scanned over it quickly before pointing to a spot in the corner.

               "We're here," she told me. "Where should you be?"

               "Mrs. Sweetzer's homeroom."

               Her eyes sparkled with amusement, looking as if she was about to burst into laughter at any moment. "How did you end up here?" she chuckled. "Her class is on the other side of the school."

               I felt completely embarrassed and my cheeks come aflame. I closed my eyes in an attempt not to look at her; I couldn't stop the laugh of stupidity I had towards myself. "I'm an idiot," I laughed lightly along with the girl. I reopened my eyes to see her shaking her head lightly.

               "No you're not, you're just new," she answered politely. Awe, I thought, she's a sweetheart. "By the way, I'm Arianna, but most people call me Ari." She was a very happy and bubbly person, that I could already tell. I liked it, it was different than that of my other friends. I discreetly caught a whiff of her scent, and realized she was a werewolf also, but I didn't bring it up.

               "I'm--" I began, but she cut me off. Politely, of course.

               "Hope, I know. I remember you from freshman year," she explained. A light blush dusted my cheeks, but I wasn't quite sure why. Maybe because I felt like an idiot still, or possibly because someone actually remembered me, but I didn't exactly remember her. It might of been because I was expecting an, "Get away from me, freak!" since she apparently knew me from all those years ago, but it never came. I was really grateful for that, too.

               I sat there beside her awkwardly, not exactly knowing what to say. Thankfully, she brought up a topic that we could have a civil conversation about. "I'm not a part of the pack, you know, if you were wondering," she smiled. I looked at her, intrigued.

               "Are you a rogue living on the lands, too?"

               She nodded. "Yep, along with my parents." She paused. "You know others living on the land?"