If, Then, Because

Before:

I shuffle the papers on my desk, locating the beginning of my creative essay and place it on top of the pile. Smoothing the edges so that they all line up, anal as I am, I continue to ignore my companion. At this point, I’m not sure I could even call him that.

Dex was more of an experiment.

“Ellie, baby, please don’t shut me out. We were so good.” He says, pleads, whatever. I uncap the yellow highlighter I reach for on the table and run it over the title. It’s not about who I am: it’s more about where I’ve been.

“It’s just not going to work.” I say, my small voice filling the silence after his statement. I can hear the wood of the back of my chair groan under the pressure of his big, angry, hands.

Sighing, I abruptly stand, causing him to step back. My heels click the linoleum with deliberation as I move towards the open door. I hold out my arm as he makes eye contact, that sinking eye contact that tells me he knows he’s been shut down. I can’t tell whether or not his steps are angry or depressed as they heavily trudge out of my office.

When the door is closed and I’m safely sealed inside the room I sigh. I’ve built something that no man can destroy- me. I blow a strand of hair away from my eye and get back to work.