Chapter Six

Respectfully Rose

Chapter Six

 ~~

Isaac opened his eyes slowly only to shut them when a severe headache and nausea hit him almost like a ton of bricks. He groaned as opened his eyes once more and attempted to get up from his bed. His bare feet hit the cold floor and he then realized he was in the room he had meant to share with Lorraine. How many times did he have to tell Rose he’d take the loft and she could have the room?

He grabbed the blanket from the foot of the bed and wrapped it around his shoulders as he made his way to the living room, it was freezing and he needed to add wood to the fire. He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw her. Rose had her hair down- in soft brown curls that fell over her face and the settee she slept on. She pouted in her sleep as she dreamt, she wore a long-sleeved white nightgown and her wire-framed glasses fell from her small hand, onto the floor.

Isaac noticed his robe on an overstuffed chair he suddenly noticed it was the furniture from Rose’s bedroom instead of the furniture Lorraine had insisted on buying. Oddly enough he liked it. He put the blanket he had been covering up with over Rose careful not to wake her up while he put on his robe and started the fire.

“Good morning.” Josh said coming in from outside. Isaac cringed, sounds were intensified especially his little brothers chipper voice.

“Mornin’” He replied running a hand through his hair.

“Need coffee?” Josh said with a smirk.

“Yes.” Isaac groaned following Josh into the small kitchen.

Josh started making coffee and talking about one of the horses that were about to give birth. Josh was always the best with animals, he hoped one day Josh would give in and go to veterinary school.

“Have you seen Lela?” Isaac asked remembering how Josh had professed to liking the oldest daughter of their neighbor Arthur Black.

Josh suddenly blushed but his smile grew wide. “Not in a while but Mr. Black invited me to dinner Tuesday.” He said proudly.

Isaac smiled; at least his brothers would get their happy endings. “Good for you.” he said genuinely “Better ask for the oldest Miss Black’s hand before someone else does.”

Josh smiled “I plan on it.”

Isaac was happy for his baby brother and Lela would make him a fine wife- Lela was nineteen the oldest of the six she was used to large families so she’d fit in well with the rest of them. Her younger siblings- Minnie, Louie, Frankie, Adam and Betsy loved her so she’d make a good mother- his thoughts drifted to Rose would she make a good mother? Would he make a good father?

Why on earth was he thinking about that? The two of them wouldn’t have children together. Who knew if they could even remain married to one another?

“So” Josh said clearing his throat “Rose tells me the two of you are travelling to England.”

Isaac accepted the china cup he’d never seen before from his brother, the strong scent of coffee travelled to his nose as he brought the cup to his lips. He took his time before simply nodding in reply.

“Oh c’mon Isaac you’ve got to be excited, you haven’t gotten to travel in ages.” Josh said as he took a seat across from him with a similar cup in his hands.

“Rose wanted to go back to England because her grandparents left her some land, we’ll go settle everything and come back it’s not that exciting.” Isaac insisted.

Josh raised a dark eyebrow while his dark blue eyes peered at him “Are you really that afraid to let yourself be happy? You love to travel and now you finally can- you finally get to see the world Isaac I would think you’d be a little more excited about it.”

Isaac shrugged running a hand through his hair, he was somewhat excited but he had to remember that plans changed, perhaps Rose no longer would want to travel than where would he be? It was better not to get ones hopes up on such things.

~~ ~~

Rose listened in on the conversation between Isaac and Josh, she knew it was wrong to eavesdrop but she couldn’t help it, once she heard Josh mention England she wanted to hear what Isaac had to say about it. After all it wasn’t like he shared any of his thoughts with her.

But once she heard Isaac’s real opinion on it, she wished she never would have listened in on his private conversation with his brother.

“Rose wanted to go back to England because her grandparents left her some land, we’ll go settle everything and come back it’s not that exciting.”

She found herself feeling hurt but then she felt stupid for thinking otherwise, of course she was unexciting in comparison to her sister. She turned to leave just as Josh replied but she didn’t care to listen. She tiptoed to the bedroom Isaac had slept in last night knowing that was where Annalise had unpacked her clothing. She needed to get dressed and start her day- she had a lot to do if she was going to take the journey to England.

She opened the door quietly before closing it just as quiet behind her. She made her way to her trunk at the foot of the bed and sighed as she opened it. She picked out a pink shirtwaist and a brown skirt. She had just started to undress when the door opened- Isaac stood before her wearing a pair of night trousers and a robe he left untied- he was very muscular she noticed before blushing. She reached for a blanket off the bed realizing she was only in her bloomers and corset.

“I-I” Isaac stuttered “I didn’t know you were in here.” He said with wide blue eyes.

Rose didn’t know what to say, she was mortified that he saw her in such an intimate state.

He left quickly shutting the door behind him and Rose wished the floor would open up and swallow her. How would she ever face him again?

She dressed quickly before securing her hair in a loose bun at the nap of her neck. She had her hand on the doorknob but she couldn’t possibly bring herself to turn it. How could she? Isaac most likely thought her to be even more hideous than he already had.

“Come on Rose” she said to herself “Don’t be a coward.”

She squared her shoulders and bit her lip.

“Oh bugger” she said in defeat “I am a coward.” She crossed the room and took a seat at her vanity mirror. A plain woman stared back at her- The blonde hair she had always craved was nowhere in sight instead her hair was slightly curly and dark brown- she remembered when she was a child Lorraine had teased her mercilessly about her hair calling it a “Mouse brown” she hadn’t liked the color of it since.

She let her hair down from the bun she had confined it in and started to brush her hair with the brush her grandmother Sophie had given her- on the handle roses were delicately painted around the engraving of her full name- Rose Alexandra Watson.

How she missed her grandmother, she remembered how she used to brush her hair every night. She had always felt like everything would be alright no matter how bad her day had been when she came home her grandmother always had a way of giving advice to make it better.

A light knock sounded at her door and she said a simple “Yes?” hesitantly.

“It’s Isaac,” he said clearing his throat uncomfortably “We need to get going if we’re to get everything for our trip…”

Rose twisted her hair quickly pinning it up in a bun before walking across the room to open the door.

“I’m ready.” She said quietly, Isaac offered his arm as a gentleman would and she accepted it allowing him to escort her to the waiting wagon.

“Thank you for readying the wagon Obie.” Isaac said speaking to the ranch hand who had light hair, he looked young not much older than them and he had a kind smile.

“No problem Boss.” He replied with a slight southern accent. He tipped his hat to Rose before leaving to go back into the barn.

“Is Josh to join us?” Rose asked nervously, she wasn’t sure how she felt about being alone with Isaac- they never had been alone before but surely she needed to get used to it if they were to go to England together.

“No ma’am his horse is about to give birth and he wants to be present in case there are any complications… I’m afraid it’s just you and I today.” Isaac said nonchalantly, his hair fell into his eyes as he looked down at her.

She turned to climb into the wagon when a pair of strong hands lifted her with ease into the seat; she gasped and looked back towards Isaac. He didn’t seem fazed instead he walked around and climbed up next to her. Her heart raced as they sat so close that their legs touched, why was she overthinking this? He didn’t like her- he found her unexciting and most likely unattractive- he didn’t want to be alone with her he was tricked into this marriage just as she had been.

She self-consciously fixed her hair as she felt his eyes on her, she could see him through her peripheral vision- he wore a light blue button up shirt with a tan vest and tan trousers. His hair was just as messy as it had been last night but she noticed he must have cleaned up and shaved.

Neither of them said anything and an awkward silence settled around them almost as thick as fog. Rose dreamt about the day when things would get better, she knew there was no chance of the two of them being romantic but couldn’t they at least be friends?

“I thought we could go somewhere and get trunks for our things… I noticed yours are a bit… used.” Isaac said finally.

Rose turned towards him slightly giving him her full attention “Alright,” she agreed “Mine are a bit to ratty for another trip I’m afraid I’ve just about worn them out.”

~~ ~~

Isaac looked at Rose; she had turned her body ever so slightly towards him while she looked right at him as he spoke. It made a fella feel special knowing someone was listening to them- Lorraine never did that sort of thing, if it hadn’t been her idea she never wanted to hear it. He remembered her looking at her hands while he talked making him feel like she was bored with what he had to say- but not Rose.

“What will we need for England?” He asked looking at her as she looked at him. She looked very pretty in her pink colored shirt and dark skirt; her shoes were dark brown and simple. It amazed him how she could look so very feminine with no frills in sight. She played with a locket around her neck absently as she thought of his question.

His thoughts went back to that morning, he hadn’t known she was in the bedroom- he hadn’t even heard her get up- but there she was in her underthings, he never saw a woman so undressed before so he was just as embarrassed as she had been. But he couldn’t deny she was downright beautiful.

“Isaac?” Rose said bringing him back from his thoughts “Were you listening to me?”

He blushed slightly, thankful she couldn’t hear his thoughts “I’m sorry Rose I was just caught up in my thoughts.”

“What were you thinking about?” She asked.

“What did you say?” he said answering her question with one of his own.

“I said we might need some warmer clothing, some jackets and new boots… a new hat or two.” Her brown eyes seemed to see into his soul and he quickly looked away.

“Sounds good.” He said, keeping his eyes on the horizon. He was attracted to Rose but he felt guilty about it, like he was somehow cheating on Lorraine- it was ridiculous really considering Rose was his wife now and Lorraine was some other man’s wife. But still he couldn’t help but feel bad, his heart still belonged to Lorraine.

~~ Author’s Note~~

Hello everyone! I just wanted to post this before I went to work! I hope you liked it! Please vote and comment if you did :) Sorry for the short chapter- the next one will be longer.
Thanks for reading!
Now I’m watching my big fat gypsy wedding- does anyone else love this show? I’m so obsessed with it and I don’t even know why lol. But I got to go to a SWITCHFOOT CONCERT! I love switchfoot and I see them every time they’re in or near Denver it was great! And they’re opening band- The Royal Concept rocked and were so handsome lol I got to talk to the lead singer and he shook my hand oh goodness lol he was beautiful! Lol but yes it was an amazing concert and I am so glad I got to go :) Who's your favorite band to see live?
 XXX
~Kassi