Chapter One- Photo of Rose

Respectfully Rose

Chapter One

~~

September 4th 1903

Rose sighed looking up at her older sister, who yet again thought of no one but herself “And what about Isaac?” she asked.

“What about him?” Lorraine questioned innocently looking up from packing her bags.

“He is your fiancé!” Rose said with wide eyes “Your wedding is in an hour surely you aren’t thinking of doing this!”

“Rosie, please don’t judge me… when you fall in love you’ll understand… I know this isn’t the best way of breaking it off with Isaac but I cannot marry him, Rick and I are going to elope and then we’re going to head for Canada.”

“Lorraine, Isaac will be heartbroken! Not to mention completely embarrassed! How can you do this too him when you’ve been with him for nearly four years!”

“Yeah about that…Well I was wondering if you could marry him?”

“What?”

“You’ll make a good match, in time he’ll agree… if you marry him there will still be a marriage and a wedding so no one will be embarrassed.”

“Lorraine you’re forgetting one thing…” Rose said calmly taking a seat on the end of Lorraine’s bed next to her carpet bag.

“And what is that?” Lorraine asked narrowing her pale green eyes at her. She never did like anyone telling her “No” or stating the obvious, in many ways Lorraine had never grown up from when they were children, she still had to get her own way and she still threw small tantrums if she didn’t.

“I’m not you. I haven’t been courting Isaac; I’ve only seen him once we don’t even know each other. Do you really think he’d prefer a shorter plain woman to you?”

“Rosie, you are beautiful- just in a less conventional way.” Lorraine said opening her wardrobe and plucking at least ten frilly dresses from within “Do you think the maid will help me pack these?”

“Oh well thank you Lorraine that makes me feel loads better.” Rose said sarcastically “I hardly doubt Annalise has time to pack your bags, she’s been busy with your wedding preparations.” It irritated Rose to no end that Lorraine never remembered Annalise’s name, she had been their maid for three years. Although Rose made it a point to take Annalise with her travelling as the two of them had become close friends.

Lorraine sighed, rolling her eyes “Honestly Rose it’s up to you, marry him and save our family and his embarrassment and scandal or don’t marry him and ruin our family’s good name.”

“Lorraine that isn’t fair! This is your doing not mine!” Rose said standing up to her sister for the first time in her life.

“Fine be selfish, I hope you’re prepared to deal with Mama’s constant crying and Papa’s anger… why I’m sure all good sociality will stop talking to them all together.”

“It is not I who did this to them nor is it I who is being selfish.” Rose said threw gritted teeth, she couldn’t believe how her sister was acting; she stood up crossing her arms.

“Honestly Rose you owe it to me, I mean how many times have you left me behind while you go and travel?” Lorraine said in a whiney voice, she grabbed onto Rose’s forearm and looked down at her with sad eyes.

“I’ve asked you to come with me Lorraine; you are the one who didn’t want to see the world!” Rose said not wanting to be manipulated by her sister.