Chapter 29- OLD

Rebecca rolled her eyes for what seemed like the 50th time in the last two minutes. 

 "So you're telling me you're upset that two guys are fighting over you?" She looked at me like I was crazy and scoffed. 

 "I just told you!" I was becoming frustrating with Rebecca's nonchalant attitude about this situation. "Kent was the one I kissed but never heard back from. If he couldn't be bothered to even write a letter then why should I give him the time of day?" 

"Well he's hotter than Charlie, so there's your first reason," I lightly hit Rebecca on the arm and she giggled, grabbing a pillow off the bed to throw at me. 

 "I'm being serious, Kent really hurt me," Rebecca now grabbed my shoulders and faced me towards her. 

 "Why not hear him out? You'll never know why you never heard from him if you don't," She had a point, as much as I hated to admit. I groaned and ran my hands through my hair while pacing back and forth. 

"Charlie said that he and Missy had reconnected though," I whispered, remembering what Charlie had written in the third letter he sent. He had made sure to mention Kent had been busy helping Missy study, but he was sure Missy had ulterior motives. 

"The crazy ex? Who cares about her? She's not here, in the middle of all this testosterone, hormone filled, high school drama bullshit," Rebecca's choice of words sometimes made my head hurt. Then again, she had a point. Again.

"Look, if you're that paranoid, I brought this with me just in case," Rebecca began rummaging through my bags.

"Um, those are my bags?" I watched while Rebecca continued to rummage. 

"I didn't have room in my bags, so I put this in yours," She explained like it was no big deal and suddenly pulled out a small can of mace that was bedazzled in rhinestones. "Bear mace, stronger than regular mace," 

"You bedazzled it," I commented but Rebecca ignored me and walked over to the door.

 "Just keep it on you if you feel like you need to use it, use it. Then scream so I can come finish kicking their ass," Rebecca was peering through the door that she had cracked open, "Your friends are kind of cute though,"

 "Perv," Rebecca shot me a playful glare and stuck out her tongue but didn't reply. 

I grabbed my red sweatshirt, the one my mom had gotten me freshman year, the red one that Kent liked.

I heard the front door open and shut before Charlie's footsteps approached the door. He didn't bother saying anything to the other guys, he just walked into the master bedroom where Rebecca and I were standing. 

"I'll give you guys some privacy," Rebecca quickly slipped out of the room, I could tell she was excited to talk to the guys and excited to be out of this room. I wanted to be out of this room. 

 "Are you alright?" Charlie asked, reaching out and grabbing my hands. "I'm so sorry all of this has happened," 

"It's okay, really, it's not your fault," I tried smiling up at him but something felt wrong. He wasn't acting like he was just upset, he looked absolutely furious. I understand he probably heard about Kent and I's kiss but that shouldn't be making him this upset. 

 "I'm going to get them to leave, I promise," Charlie squeezed my hands so I'd look back up at him and he gave me a caring smile. "I promise Sadie, nothing is going to ruin this weekend," 

 "It's really not that bad," Charlie opened his mouth but his phone began ringing. As he fished for his pocket he began inching towards the bathroom.