The Orphanage

Slowly the small baby began to learn and it learnt faster than most babies, by the age of five months he had already learnt how to speak. By the age of two he had learnt the alphabet. At five he had mastered how to read small simple words and had started to learn addition and subtraction. The staff at the orphanage were amazed at the intelligence of the small boy, yet this caused a lot of jealously and made him become disliked and un-loved.

 The orphanage was a dark and smelly place, there were far too many children and the adults weren't nice at all. To tell the truth the adults were far from nice, they were revolting creatures that had almost no love for the children at all. No-one wanted to work for the orphanage, the jobs were too disgusting and had little to no pay. Thus, the king had to supply prisoners from jails to the orphanages. This would make everyone happy and everyone would win, apart from the prisoners and the children of course.

 The idea being that the prisoners would learn to become nice and loving and the children would have a shelter and food and water. The children became very nasty little imbeciles when met with these adults, their whole attitude to life and the world became nasty. The prisoners you see, kept very strict rules and sometimes had favourites among the orphans. Some of the adults in the orphanages were just terrible but there were some nice fellows although they were always picked upon by the others.

 Only the strong survived, the weak would be left to starve by themselves. One must learn strength and selfishness in times of chaos and war. After all, how else could one achieve fame, glory and luxury? There is no other option. To live is to fight, to fight is to live. For Yang-Jian there was only one way he could prove himself, he had to better than everyone. Second-best was not good enough. No-one remembers second place, second place is for losers. Yang-Jian lives by this code.You cannot be kind in this world, if you are kind, all your oppurtunities will be taken. Yang-Jian has already learnt this lesson.

 Now at the age of seven Yang-Jian had grown in a harsh life where there was little food left for him and as he left the orphanage for his morning exercises he caught sight of a hooded man on the corner of the streets. Yang-Jian ignored him, it was usual for him to see strange people in the midst of the orphanage. All the same, the man did look quite creepy. He looked straight at Yang-Jian and seemed to be sizing him up taking in all of his attributes. He hardly moved at all.

 Yang-Jian had made many enemies at the orphanage and so he was a tough boy, living up to the expectations of a thug. Brutish in strength and body, yet he also had another aspect to him. He was strangely intelligent. He had one of the most wonderful minds of all the children in the orphanage. He was nimble and able to pickpocket at quite a skillfull level.

One day as Yang-Jian was returning to the orphanage after a successful theft, a couple of boys from the orphanage came out to meet him. They were a nasty looking bunch of kids and they looked liked they were looking for a fight. As Yang-Jian came by they stopped him. Yang-Jian recognised one of the boys as the one whom he had got into a fight with because he had called Yang-Jian a freak. Yet again the weird man with the hood was watching by the edge of the street.

 Things were not going to go well, for the first time in a long while Yang-Jian felt a tinge of fear and his heart-rate increased giving him random boosts of adrenaline. The first kid, a brawny, short, stout kid came rushing at him carrying a stick. Yang-Jian took a small step backwards dodging the first strike and then he rushed forwards flooring the boy onto the ground as he flew into him. But it was no good, there simply were too many children there. He was outnumbered.

As Yang-Jian got kicked onto the floor a sudden flare of water struck right into the middle of the group. The man in the hood had started to act. The children looked around annoyed at this sudden attack and they fixed their eyes on the old hooded man.

" waz the matter with you old man? where did that water come from? go to hell,"he spat.

 The man lifted his hood to show a scarred face and an angry rage in his face. He whistled and a magical demon came towards the small group from out of the shadows. It was in the form of a small dragon. He halted the dragon and began to speak.

"That was a warning shot, any more from you and I'll drown you all in his acid rain. Is that clear?" The man said.

 Yang-Jian saw a flicker of suprise in the boy's eyes and they slowly started running away.