Prologue

Prologue

Red and blue lights flashed in the darkness, my vision growing slightly blurry the longer I lay there.  I felt as if I were in a body of water – floating – aimlessly lying there, with no sense of direction.  Left only with peace and silence to remain in the bleak darkness that, soon, would become never ending.

            Someone reached out as they loomed over me, their fingers grabbing my wrist.  I wish I knew in truth how cold they were, but I felt too distant from my body to fully comprehend anything.

            “She’s fading!  Get a stretcher!” someone must have yelled, but their voice was simply too far away.

            “That’s my baby!  That’s my child!  Move out of my way!”

            Mother?  I wondered, my thoughts becoming jumbled as soft breaths slipped from my aching lips, the taste of metal drifting in and causing me to choke, but I wasn’t sure anyone heard it.  Not with how silent it seemed to be.

            “We’re losing him!  He’s lost too much blood!”

            “Let me see them!”

            “Ma’am, they’re dying!  Move away!”

            Someone was sobbing, their pains laced in the cries as everything seemed to become dulled and empty.  Was I crying?  Was my mother crying?

            That day, I’m still not sure who cried the most on that fateful night that ended everything: my mother or the angel’s watching from above, their tears coming down like cold rain.