Chapter Six

After Jake’s dramatic entrance into the hospital, I followed him more reluctantly. No matter how much I knew that we had to use our powers, it still frightened me as I knew that it could harm an innocent.

Once in the building, I looked around until I spotted Jake by the double doors at the back of the room. He waved for me to go to him.

“What’s the plan?” I whispered to him when I got there.

He placed a finger on his lips in the universal signal for ‘shut up’ and glanced around the ground floor. After a few seconds, a pleased look appeared on his face as he closed his eyes. He probably stayed like that for twenty to thirty seconds, but it felt like a few hours to me. My eyes jumped from one person to another as I watched every individual that entered the hospital. I don’t know why, really-just seemed like the right thing to do as I had a sneaking suspicion that Jake was doing something supernatural.

“Alright, let’s go.”

And with no warning whatsoever, he dragged me to the elevator doors.

“Jake, what are you doing? We’re not allowed to go up there!”

“Just trust me, will you?” He pushed me inside the lift just as two other people got in.

After they got off at the fifth floor, Jake pressed the button for the seventh floor.

The ping of the elevator announced our arrival as the doors slid open. The familiar corridor materialised and I was once again being dragged by Jake.

He walked straight past Anne’s room and led me to the desk at the back. The same two nurses were in front of computers and did not even look up as Jake placed his arms on the counter and looked at the nurse that had supervised our visit to see Anne.

My head swivelled back and forth between the nurse and my brother, confused to the point of no return when suddenly, the same nurse from before-Rita, according to her nametag-picked up the phone. She held the earpiece next to her ear for a few seconds and hung up.

Then, she simply got up, walked towards the rooms and Jake began to drag me again as we followed her. She stopped in front of Anne’s room, entered in some numbers and slid the door open.

By the time she was out of that door, Jake and I were inside.

I stared at Jake in awe as he punched the air in triumph.

“What did you do?”

“Mind warping; that’s my power. Remember, I explained it to you on your birthday?” he explained.

The power of manipulating what other people see.

“Oh yeah, now I do.”

As I spotted Patty napping in the corner, I sent Jake a questioning look.

“Don’t worry about her. She can’t see or hear us.” Jake said, flippantly, “Alright now, let’s use your power.”

He crooked a finger at me and I, reluctantly, moved until I was standing beside Anne. She was still in the same position but the only difference was that she was cocooned with blankets, which was obviously the work of Patty. Her straight, blond hair was combed through and lay around her pale face as if she was Sleeping Beauty. The lack of her usual caked face made her seem refreshingly normal and vulnerable.

After inhaling in a number of huge gusts of air, I sat down on the chair beside the table and took Anne’s hand in my own. With my eyes closed, I attempted to pinpoint my power. A number of failed trials later, my mind connected with Anne’s brain and I was inside.