Chapter Three

The whole of the history class was instructed to go home as we were all traumatised by Anne's collapse. They had no idea.

I was strangely numb. You would think that after an incident like that, I would be fighting with emotions-guilt, despair, anything. But, the whole walk home, I felt nothing but emptiness.

Once home, I went straight to my room, dropped my bag on the floor and flopped onto the bed. Minutes after staring blankly at my ceiling, I decided that I should do something productive. So, I grabbed the comfiest of my pyjamas and walked into the bathroom. After vacantly stripping off my clothes and climbing into the shower, I just stood under the water with my head down and eyes closed. The power of the hot water falling on my back loosened the knots in my back and that is when I realised that I was tensed. My whole body was stiff and when I began to relax, tears started to leak out and all of a sudden, I was shaking with violent sobs. I slid down the wall, hugged my legs to my chest and dropped my head onto my knees.

All of the emotions I had suppressed from this afternoon rushed back to me at the same time. The guilt crept into me and all I could think about was that moment. That moment when I lost my concentration and how I, single-handedly, destroyed Anne's life. I hope I didn't do anything that will have damaged or scarred her in any way. What if I had accidentally blown up her brain or something? I knew I was capable of it. When I touched her, I could feel her brain and it was as if I could have done anything to her if I wanted to-saved her or killed her. That kind of power scared the crap out of me. I didn't want that and I will never want that.

'Stop ranting and try to find a solution, idiot!' the logical part of me shrieked.

For once, I actually listened. I dried myself up, got dressed and ran back to my room. I settled on the chair in front of my desk and pulled my phone out of my bag. I went through my contacts list until I found the number I was looking for.

Thankfully, it started to ring and when I began to think no one was going to pick up, a quiet voice said, "Hello?"

"Hi, Is Anne there? I'm one of her friends, Mel." I croaked out while fidgeting with my top.

"Oh dear, haven't you heard? Anne's in a coma." the woman said and began to wail.

"Patty! Will you please stop that? You are disturbing the other patients!" an irritated voice bellowed in the background.

"I'm sorry, dear. Do you have a reason for calling our Annie?" she composed herself and said.

"Umm...I was with her today when it happened and I was wondering if you could tell me if she was okay. Or any news really."

"Oh, you poor dear. She is comatose and the lovely doctors are trying everything they can! But they say she might not wake up at all." That had me shaking. I couldn't believe it.

I thought she would be alright by now. This was stressing me out. I cut the woman off while she was rambling on and hung up without saying goodbye. I knew it was rude but I couldn't help it.

This is when I knew that I had to tell someone. Obviously with my inexperience and misfortune, if I tried anymore spells, I would probably end up murdering someone.

My first thought was my Mom. I knew that she would listen to me and would try to help me but I couldn't bear the thought of her being disappointed in me. Same with Dad so my only other choice was Jake.

There was still two or so hours until he came back, so I had no idea what I could do until then. I mean, a girl was dying! After pacing up and down my room for about an hour or so, I gave up and dropped onto the middle of my room.

I was curled up like that when a brilliant thought popped into my head. I could not believe that I didn't think of it before. Instead moping around like a loser, I should have done this. Shaking my head at my own stupidity, I walked to the attic.

That's right, I just realised that I had a magic room full of magical books with solutions. What kind of an idiot am I?

I would not do any more spells but I could do some research so that I would be more of a help to Jake when he gets home. So, I climbed two steps at a time until I stood at the front of the simple wooden door. I tried to turn the doorknob but it didn't give way at all. That's when I remembered how Jake and Mom had opened the door before. My finger pointed at the brass knob and I waited. And I waited some more.

Looks like there was a spell to it. Argh! Dammit.

Remembering my mom's advice on controlling my magic, I took several deep breaths until the only thing that remained in my mind was the need to open that door. With that thought, I opened my eyes and pointed.

And voilá! The door opened with sparkles and the minute it moved, I shoved it further and ran into the middle of the room. Looking at the number of books around the room, I had no idea where to begin.

I sat down on the couch and picked up the book mom was looking at before from the coffee table. Flipping to the contents page, I skimmed through trying to find out something about reversing a spell or healing someone better. But I came up with nothing. The book was simply spells for controlling your magic.

Well, I should have known it wouldn't be easy.

*

The sound of the front door banging shut brought my head back up from the book it was buried into. After going through about fifteen thick books, I still had no answer. You would think in a magic room, they would have a simple reversing spell. But, apparently not. Frustrated, I slammed the book shut and dropped it on the table I had occupied. Once I stretched out the kinks in my neck, I walked out of the attic to see if Jake was home.

However, it was only my mom coming back from her shopping.

"Hey, sweetie! When did you get home?" she asked, unpacking the bags.

"Oh, erm...just now." I said, after making sure it was around the time I usually come home. I did not want to tell her about what happened unless Jake couldn't help me.

"Okay, darling." She said and gave me a peck on the cheek before walking out past me, "I'm going to get some work done, Mel. If you need anything, you know where to find me."

With that, she disappeared into her office. Looking up the clock hanging on the wall again, I realised that Jake should have been home by now. Enraged at him, I climbed back up the stairs to my room and dialled his phone.

"The number you have dialled is unavai-" I cut the voice off and threw my phone onto my bed. I stormed back down the stairs and into my office.

"Mom, where's Jake?"

"Oh, don't you remember honey? He is on the school trip to Belfast. He won't be back for three more days." She said, without taking her eyes off her computer.

Oh God. Oh God. Oh God. I completely forgot about the trip! I'm so screwed.

*****************************************************************************

A/N: Hi guys! Sorry I haven't updated in so long. Just finished my mock exams today but I still have so much work to do. So, the updates will be pretty slow for a while. I hope you are all still with the story! Thank you for all the votes and reads. We have great plans for the story and I hope you guys will stick with us through it! xD

I hope you liked this chapter and Please don't forget to Vote, Comment and Follow!

Love you all!