Chapter 05 : Deep inside my tears I'll drown.

Penelope smiled at the smartly dressed stewardess who greeted her inside the Delta air and guided both of them to their seats. They followed her. Most of the people had taken their place. Penelope thanked the lady and stowed her large red bag under the chair. She put remaining hand luggage in the overhead compartments.

"Can I take an aisle seat, luv? You know, how flying makes me nervous. I hate this sh*t!"

Penelope nodded and slipped into her window seat. She took off her cropped black blazer and stretched her jeans clad leg as she looked out of the window. On most of the days, she managed to put the past away. But then there were days when it came rushing back. Like today.

Penelope sighed. The sliver thorough her heart was always sliding with pain. She had tried several times to pull out that big stick but it didn't leave her alone.

She was planning to check her dialogues last time once the flight took off. The flight was not going to be long. But she was ready to face them now.

They were few of the last passengers. Cabin crew had started to perform a live pre takeoff briefing regarding the safety features of the aircraft.

Audrey pushed her plush seat and put the cigarette in her mouth. With a swift moment, she brought lighter up to the tip when an airhostess put baskets of Nevada- and California-made cookies and cheeses. She stowed Audrey's tray table and started to leave but she stopped when she noticed the dangling cigar.

"I am sorry ma'am but smoking is not allowed on this aircraft. We are ready to take off. Please buckle yourself ma'am."

"I will f*cking do as I wish." Audrey snapped at the stewardess as she blew out smoking rings in the air. Her action didn't amuse the lady. The flight attendant turned towards Penelope. Before she can speak, Penelope pulled out the thin cigar from Audrey's mouth and stubbed it.

"Drey, I had warned you before."

Audrey didn't say a word. Sweat trickled from her forehead. She picked up a tissue and wiped her brow as she fastened the seatbelt. Her white T shirt had perspiration patches beneath her under arms. She was shaking and struggling to make herself at ease in the large Delta air plane. Flight doors were about to close. Audrey fidgeted in her huge first class seat and looked at Penelope, who was busy instructing Amelia.

Audrey opened the water bottle and drank it at one go.

"How is Mia now?"

Penelope instructed her to wait by hand gesture. After few more seconds, she finished the call. Penelope switched off her mobile as she heard the announcement of takeoff.

"Mia is doing better although she is still refusing to eat. But the doctor says she should be fine by three-four days. I didn't want to leave her behind but we can't take her with us, especially when she is not well."

Audrey nodded and scooted forward in her seat as she checked her seat belt one more time. Her face was flushed.

"That's a relief to hear, Ella. Even I miss her but she is better off without us right now. Umm, how long will it take us to reach Reno?"

Penelope turned to Audrey and held her hand. Audrey had been asking the same question since they left home.

"It's just an hour's flight Drey. We will be landing even before you realize you were air borne. Are you okay?"

"How can I Ella? My stomach won't stop making those terrible sounds. My heart misses a beat at the thought of taking off." Penelope took out a small throw blanket, a shawl, and Audrey's slippers. She passed it on to her.

"This will make you comfortable. If you only worry, every minute of this flight is gonna feel like an hour Drey. I have bought your favorite fashion magazine. Or maybe you can try reading one of my books. You know, we could have gone by the car."