Chapter Twenty Eight - Part 2

by sloanranger  

Part 2

Tom was not the first man that had felt the need to defend Paula, to shield her from the tragic circumstances in which she found herself. After hearing in depth of Paula's sad, improbable history of marriages, he - like other men could only ponder at life's unfair, tragic turns -  and taken towards one so young and lovely, too.

Paula, to her credit did not at first encourage Tom but after all she had the twins to think of. They would need a father and who better to fill that role than the man who already had custody of her firstborn?

Besides, she was a woman who did not like to sleep alone.

Tom didn't realize at first that Paula had instigated the incident of Billy's overnight disappearance.

When he did find out and confronted her about it, she - reluctantly it seemed - broke down and told him about her sad history with her sister – his very own wife, Cassie.

The man was overcome, he did not know what to make of it or - like Elaine later - whom to believe.

He had been on the verge of confronting Cass with his discovery when Elaine told him that day after the incident with the pool, that Cassie had just tried to kill her. He struggled with his heart and emotions but the event seemed to settle the situation for him, confirming everything Paula had told him.

The doctor at the hospital called him for a meeting. When Tom arrived at the sanitarium the doctor sat him down.

"Your wife is very distraught," he said.  "We believe she is suffering from extreme anxiety and delusional paranoia."

"Will she recover?" Tom asked. "How long will she have to stay in here?"

"In time, of course, she may improve. But at this point she is in denial about the circumstances that brought her here. Until she recognizes her own illness there is little hope for improvement at this stage."

"But, I don't understand," Tom said.

"She believes that her sister is the cause of all her problems and insists that she is a danger to her, as well as to your son."

(To be continued).