Shoes

Fashion trends come and go out of style quickly. Wardrobes come in big and small sizes, but nevertheless have been a hallmark of fame. For lots of people the longing for a wardrobe that contains every potential shoe and shirt combination becomes their desire, becomes a point of envy.

Behind the glamorous style of the 2000s lived a girl confined in the old-school behavior of dressing the trends of the 1990s. She clothed herself with flared trousers, pastel colors like pink or baby blue, fleeces, miniskirts, grey sweatpants or yoga pants, tank tops revealing the midriff, capri pants, low-waisted jeans inspired by the designs of Alexander McQueen, thong underwear popularized by contemporary R&B music, and Union Jack motifs inspired by the Cool Britannia movement.

The girl remembered an aunt saying animatedly, nearly erupting from tears of laughter, "She’s just so out of style. Just take a look at her … hahaha … Did you see her face in the dress that looked like a blanket. hahaha."

I’d rather prefer a tomboy than her,” another of her aunts had mumbled with a repugnant look on her face.

From then on, she believed she was someone to be laughed at and needed to change. Yes, she wanted to become somebody they would prefer. She scrapped all her blouses, skirts and shorts and dressed in long shirts, pants and her dad’s slippers. She didn't care about her figure or complexion so she played games under the heat of the sun. The UV rays burned her skin. Worst of all, she ate a lot, like none of her trendsetter cousins would do. She ate until she felt bloated. In the end …

… tomboy … how pathetic."

Hearing the words made her feel dejected and desperate. She went straight home and faced the displeasing reality. Something inside her made her feel like throwing an unacceptable commentary to the girl in front of the mirror when she heard a voice.

Hey you! … Yes! … You over there! … Don’t just turn your back on me! … Hey! … Look at me (snapping her finger until it made a clicking sound) … In the mirror, please … Good. Calm down, calm down. I know what you’re thinking and you’re not mad.  … Hey! Don’t give me that filthy look, okay? … Listen. Listen … Here’s the thing. I-AM-YOU …

 “I-M-U,” she mouthed the letters with full confusion. Her two eyebrows nearly met.

Yes. I-AM-YOU, got that? I’M YOU! Like you … and me … together … like one person!

“I-AM-YOU!” she whispered. Bemused, her eyes widened and her mouth opened.

GREAT! the image in the mirror said with the same tone and bemused face. “Now listen,” it drifted in a business-like voice, “I am here to tell you this…”

She gathered all the air her lungs could take and yelled, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? GET A GRIP OF YOURSELF!! YOU KNOW BETTER AND YOU KNOW YOU CAN BE THE BEST OF YOURSELF TODAY! SHOW THEM!!" She said it so fast and furious she could barely make out of the words.

There was an abrupt pause.

Show what you are made of … because you know what, girl? I-believe-in-YOU, she continued in an encouraging tone giving emphasis to the last four words of her dramatic speech.

Just in time, she received a message on her phone from someone who she never expected to get one from. The message went like this:

Hi! Well, I availed two tickets to watch a movie and I was wondering if I could watch it with you. =]. Don’t reply ‘cause I won’t be accepting NO for an answer. Actually I’m on my way there. See Yah!