Unspoken Truce

Ginny chewed her lip, clearly crestfallen but fighting to hide it. She then took a deep breath and nodded at Harry, flashing him a too-bright smile. Fuck. Harry knew what that meant. She was about to cry. Just about. He suddenly felt like a right bastard for the way he'd been acting around her.

"Alright. We'll talk later then." Shifting her gaze at Malfoy, her eyes visibly hardened but she refused to say anything else to the blond git.

Harry bit back a sigh, suppressing his amusement as Malfoy pointedly ignored her. Harry slowly realized that Malfoy was already steadier on his feet and no longer needed too much support but for Merlin knows what reason, Harry couldn't bring himself to let go of the insufferable prat. He felt good pressed up against Harry. He smelled bloody nice too. Stunned, Harry forcibly pushed those thoughts aside.

Other than greeting Ginny with a very clipped 'Ginevra', to which the petite firecracker had practically bristled at --- Harry was positive she was about to hex Malfoy bald or worse --- the blond hadn't said another word. He had merely stood, the very picture of bored impatience as he examined his perfectly manicured nails for nonexistent dirt, his left arm still draped over Harry's shoulder, slender fingers idly playing with the fabric of Harry's jumper, innocently brushing against the inside of Harry's wrist as he held Malfoy's pale arm in place.

Harry had to grudgingly admit it was damnably distracting. The twitch at the corner of Ginny's eye when her gaze had caught Malfoy's playful fingers only seemed to spur the blond on as he leaned further against Harry's side. Harry was almost sure, the git was having Ginny on. And to his horror, Harry had found it insanely hilarious. He'd fought to keep the grin from splitting his face.

"Dizzy, Potter." Malfoy had said, resting his head against Harry's shoulder. "Need to sit."

Harry, instantly grateful for the escape the Slytherin had no doubt purposefully dropped onto his lap, had quickly cut Ginny off, promising to chat later before she could go into any dangerously sensitive territory, such as the ambiguous status of their relationship.

Harry sighed. He knew he wasn't acting very Gryffindorish by avoiding this conversation with Ginny.

Now though, Harry simply nodded with a lopsided smile, "Sorry, Gin. I'll find you later then we'll talk, yeah?"

Ginny watched them leave, reluctant and conflicted. And Harry could distinctly feel her gaze boring a hole into his lungs.

"Thanks." Harry murmured as he guided Malfoy towards the hospital wing, a bemused smile on his face.

Malfoy snorted delicately, if that was even possible, and cast Harry a sidelong glance. "I don't know what you're talking about, Potter. But I sure as hell was not going to stand there and listen to you spout sonnets to your ginger girlfriend while I'm literally dead on my feet."

Malfoy's tongue was as incisive as ever but, oddly enough, it was missing its usual dose of venom. The blond sounded almost teasing. Harry turned to look at Malfoy and grinned. It was strange how easily he could now pick up the subtle things hidden beneath that sneering facade. Why had it been so difficult before?

Ah. There it is. Malfoy's mask once again crumbled. A somewhat dazed look flitted across his eyes as they met Harry's amused gaze, but it was gone just as quickly.

Harry chuckled, self-deprecatingly. "Whether you meant to or not, thanks all the same for getting me out of that sticky situation."

Surprised, Malfoy searched his face. "Problems in paradise?" He quipped, quickly falling back into a taunt.

Harry shrugged noncommittally. "This year hasn't exactly been sunshines and rainbows, has it?" He frowned at the bitterness that filtered into his voice.