Chapter 2

Things on board Destiny had been pretty mellow for the past several months. Even Rush was getting along with everyone, which was the biggest surprise. It left a lot of the crew members to sarcastically comment that all Rush just needed a few years rest to mellow out. Despite the real reason for his change of heart, Rush had much more incentive to behave and was determined to be a better crew mate for everyone. His renewed friendship with Eli was truly what turned things around, and Rush was committed to no longer challenge command nor try to take over the ship for himself. He was eager to get along with people this time, especially after he was warned that the ancients were watching him. Yet more than anything Rush was excited of the idea that he could ascend and see his wife again, more than enough incentive for him to be a good boy. Col. Young was on the bridge with Rush when something occurred, catching them by surprise.

     "What's going on, Rush?" Young asked him.

     "The gate," Rush said, looking back at Young. "Someone's dialing in!"

     Young hopped out of the chair he was sitting in, and picked activated his radio. "All military personnel to the gate room, we have someone dialing in!"

     Every soldier in the ship not only scrambled to the gate room, but they were armed, and taking a strategic position in the gate room to possibly fend off boarders like they did the last time someone dialed in. Once the gate was open, all the soldiers watching tensed up, and waiting to see what happened. At first just one man walked through with his hands raised up, as if he was expecting to get a warm welcome.

     "Hold your fire!" he called out, "I come in peace!"

     "Hold your fire!" Young said as he stepped up, "I think I know that voice. Identify yourself!"

     "Colonel John Sheppard," the man called out, "We don't have much time, I'd like permission to bring the rest of my convoy through."

     "What kind of convoy?" Young called out.

     "Supply convoy." John called back.

     "Proceed!" Greer called out, surprising Young. "What? I want new supplies."

     Young and the other soldiers watched, as massive motorized vehicles rolled through the gate and on board destiny. There were at least a dozen of these vehicles which were at the moment carrying a lot of boxes and crates. There also more people, as forty more armored troops walked through the gate, all wearing suits with their own oxygen supply in case there was no air to breath. Once all the vehicles and the people were on board. One of the men ran over to the control panel and disconnected the connection to the other world, dissolving the gate.

     "Hey!" Young called out, "Couldn't we send people back?"

     "We just came from Langara," Sheppard called out, "Or what's left of it."

     "What's left of it?" Rush repeated as he stepped forward.

     Mckay removed his helmet. "The planet's core was destabilizing."

     "Doctor McKay," Young said, surprised to see him.

     "The planet was on the verge of collapsing," Rodney continued, "We waited until the last possible moment before going through. Langara is breaking apart as we speak, and we knew using the gate would have accelerated the process."

     "So since the planet was already on its way out," John explained, "We got one chance to use the gate and only one. Our orders were to bring re-reinforcements and fresh supplies. We figured you were running low on rations."