V Meeting The Extended Family... Why Everything's On Edge

Sophia had greatly enjoyed wrapping the families Christmas present wrapping with Max and his grandmother, to which she insisted to call her Omi, whilst watching the classical tales and films shown on the small television screen in the kitchen. It was her first time watching Charlie Brown Christmas, but, she was overly familiar with the original tales for Christmas and overall enjoyed black and white films. From the Old version of A Christmas Carol to Its a Wonderful Life, all of which to her had emotional meaning and connection to her family line.

And still does to this day.

Charlie Brown Christmas she was enthralled with the cartoon, downside to being with her father after so many years of abuse and neglect he never allowed her to watch any cartoons for reasons she never knew, so the small peanuts and the amusing characters amused her even more so as she nibbled on the head of the poor ginger bread man.

As the kitchen filled with the intoxicating aroma of fine dining food and sugary holiday sweets and the sound of their laughter while telling embarrassing and joyous tales of the Engels over the years, the three sat down in the small kitchen table nearby to begin wrapping Christmas presents.

Max was lenient to ask Sophia about hers; though seeing the scars that decorated her body like jewels, he felt as though she was always self conscious about them all. And Sophia knew that at some point they all would ask about the scars, her family, even why she was left alone in the snow during this time of year, she just needed time to be able to get to know the family more before she could let down her walls and to feel open and vulnerable again.

Because she didn't want to feel the same way again as she did when her father threw her out of the house.

Betrayed, stabbed, and overwhelmingly alone.

But, as the conversations went on and the present wrapping came to a close the subject of believing in Santa popped up. "Omi," Max asked, ice pack now left to thaw out into a small puddle of water on the table, "is it true that you still believe in Santa?"

Sophia had a small glimmer in her eye, knowing that not only does Max still believe in good old Saint Nick, but Omi still does too; even though knowing that the family had tried to get her to stop, good old Omi knew the truth and not only was her Christmas Spirit keeping that belief and faith alive, but the overwhelming fear that came along with it if the Christmas Spirit ever died and its' light ever dimmed during that day.

Omi looked to both her grandson and to Sophia with a similar glint in her eye, "Natürlich," (Naturally) was her only response and her tone amused that she's able to share her tale as to why she still believed and Sophia listened to every word as if they were spoken from a prophet. "Aber ich glaube auch, dass der Nikolaus das ist, was du von ihm machst," (But I also believe St. Nicholas is what you make of him), at first both Max and Sophia looked to each other in confusion, needing a further detailed explanation from the wise elderly soul. She explained that Christmas was all about giving with a good heart rather than receiving with hearts of greed and overall want.

That sacrifice was sometimes needed during the time of year.

To which she stopped short, not wanting to relive her dark day during her childhood.

She distracted the two with more sweets and gingerbread before cleaning up; Max was hesitant at first and Sophia politely declined as she continued to nibble and sip on hers and the water offered. She was going over what Omi had said in her mind and had agreed with her highly, that believing in Santa is the Christmas spirit in itself, the joys of giving to others what they may not have already at home.

And she pondered greatly why her father was so against this time of year.

The fireplace roared to life with the blazing flame as Martha had continued her decorating around the house, from top of the line dinner ware to generations worth of tree decor and stockings; to say she went all out was an understatement, Sophia had never seen a house so specifically decorated and organized in all of her life. She watched as Mrs. Engel put out the final decorations inside each stocking for every member of the family and the extended members of their family, to which she envied for.