Prologue

Prologue

Carmela’s POV

“Carmela!! I’ve got some good news!!” Adie’s shriek rang through the phone and I winced in pain making me pull my phone away from my sensitive ear. It was now four in the morning and Adie and I spent the whole midnight talking nonstop on the phone about boys, gossips, etc. Adie is my best friend ever since kindergarten and sometimes people had mistaken us as twins since we almost look alike.

“Yeah? What is it?” I asked as I snuggled closer in my duvet followed by a yawn.

“So my uncle who owns a music school invited me to try out some summer lessons!” she exclaimed.

“That’s great! You should totally enroll for some guitar lessons! I know you’ve always wanted to learn how to play the guitar.” I replied and I heard her squeal on the other line.

“That’s what I was thinking! And I really, really want you to join me.” After she said that, my eyes widened and a small smile twitched in the corners of my mouth. I really want to go for guitar lessons. I’ve seen my brother play that instrument and it sounds wonderfully melodious. And for me, when you know how to play a guitar, it feels like you’re so cool and such a music lover. And I want other people to think of me like that.

“Adie I’d love to! Well of course I still have to tell mum about that.” I said followed by a giggle.

“Oh that should be easy! I’m sure she’ll say yes.”

“I hope so. Anyways, I should get off the phone now. I’m getting sleepy.” I declared as I glanced at my wall clock. 4:13 am the time says.

“Oh, sure thing babe. I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?” she said and I nodded though she couldn’t see me.

“Of course. Good night Adie, I love you.”

“I love you more Carms. Bye!” and just like that, a beeping voice followed after she hung up. I locked my phone and placed it under my bed before shutting my eyes close.

The thought about having guitar lessons made me a tad bit excited. I’ve been desperate to learn to play that instrument ever since I’ve seen my brother play it. I could just picture myself a few years from now playing music for all the people to hear. Yes, I’ve always dreamed of being a famous singer. Other singers’ songs just inspire me. To be specific, One Direction, Demi Lovato, Taylor Swift, Little Mix, I could just ramble on and on.

Oh! Where are my manners? I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Carmela Watson, seventeen years old, about to be eighteen on the fifth of January. I’m half Aussie and half Filipino and I live in Australia with my parents and my older brother who happens to be in college five miles away from home. But from what I’ve heard he’s coming home next week since it’s already summer. I have dark brown curly hair that stops below my shoulders and I have brown eyes I inherited from my father. And I really love reading fictional books and I’m a dog lover. I think that’s all you need to know about me.

It’s already the fourteenth day of summer and I haven’t left the house. All I did was watch television, eat, sleep, or just go online. Mum always scolds me for being such a pig and dad would make me go with him in the soccer field and join other girls my age play soccer. Of course soccer is preferable, but my legs are just so lazy.

I laughed at the thought before shutting my eyes closed and not a minute after I fell into a deep sleep.

_______________________________________

“Yay! We’re here!!” Adie’s voice snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked around and saw that we were in front of a two story building, and there was a huge Anne’s School of Music sign designed with red and black colors. Adie and I walked out her car and went inside the building. When I stepped inside, the cold air-condition air hits me and the smell of fragrance filled the room. The lights were all yellow and there was a counter in front of us. Behind the counter was a lady with blonde hair and she was using the computer. I must say she looks beautiful. Her face was a bony structure, she has long eyelashes and she has pink, plump lips any guy would be dying to kiss for. She noticed us walk up to her and she shot us a warm, toothy smile.

“Good morning ladies. May I help you with anything?” she asked in a tiny, girly voice.

“Hi. Uh, is Mister Dalton here?” Adie asked with her award winning smiles.

“Not yet, dear. But he said he’s coming at around nine.” She replied as she glanced at their wall clock that was hung on my right. It was still eight but I think it’s worth to wait for Adie’s uncle.

“Why? Do you have a meeting with him?” the lady asked.

Adie shook her head her smile never leaving her face. “I’m his niece. And this is my best friend, Carmela.” She introduced and the lady’s eyes widened and her smile got even bigger.

“Oh! You must be Adie Sanford? Your uncle did mention to me yesterday you were coming over.” She said her voice full of enthusiasm and Adie nodded followed by a light chuckle. I just stood there, smiling awkwardly and like I wasn’t in the room.

“Hi, I’m Laura Evans and I will be your secretary. Your uncle told me you’re enrolling for guitar lessons, am I right?”

“Yup, we are.”

“That’s good. Here are your enrollment forms and you might as well fill it up before entering the class.” Laura muttered as she handed each of us an enrollment form. We both thanked her before we headed to a long leather seat in front of the counter.

Adie and I were quiet as we continued to fill up the forms. The only sound that could be heard was Laura typing on the keyboard and the cool wind of the air conditioner. As I looked up, it felt like we were the only people who’re in this very building. It was really, really quiet and it made my stomach turn into knots. Before I called Adie’s attention, the entrance door swung open and in came a tall, lean man holding a guitar case in his hand. The three of us looked up at him and I swear in that moment my heart leapt up to my throat when I met a pair of blue orbs staring back at my brown ones.