Escape - Chapter 9

I bite my lip so that I don’t scream, digging my nails into Nikos’ back as we once again plummet to the ground. I look to see that we’re heading for one of the floating mountains, and Nikos is having a hard time getting us stable.

Now I wish Helia was with me.

Oh, God. Oh, God. Oh, God. Oh, God.

Nikos spreads his wings, managing to make us stop for a moment, but not before my feet grazes the surface of the floating mountain.

“Sorry about that,” Nikos murmurs to my ear once we’re flying higher again.

“I’ll never fly with you again,” I practically scream in between gasping for breath, trying to calm my rapidly beating heart.

“Thought so,” he replies.

“Can’t you make me go to sleep or something?”

Lord knew that I need the sleep, and I sure as hell don’t want to be awake when I die.

“It’s hard to carry an unconscious person.” He raises his voice due to all the gusts of air. “Besides, I think I’m getting the hang of-“

A look of alarm crosses his face, cutting himself off.

He flies to the nearest cloud possible, but not before I see that there are other winged beings in the sky, who all don’t seem to be heading for us… yet?

“Hold on tight,” Nikos whispers to my ear, I nod and wrap my arms more securely around his neck.

Once again, turbulence hits us, but we’re surprisingly better off than a while before.

Of course, I spoke too soon.

I don’t know what happened, but we are suddenly falling. Nikos mutters something I don’t understand, probably a curse, and after, more calmly, he whispers something rapidly.

Warmth fills me and I feel Nikos’ lips next to my ear. “Aris, I’ve cast an invisibility spell around us, but I’ll most likely be unconscious by the time we hit the ground.”

I freeze in his arms. What exactly am I supposed to say to that?

“Don’t worry, we’ll be alright.”

Something wraps around me like a blanket and I look to the side to see white.

He’s covered us with his wings.

“When we get to the ground, if you’re still awake or as soon as you wake up, I want you to go to where the moon is heading, or away from where the sun rises, do you understand?” He continues his instructions very fast, but still understandable.

I nod my head. “How about you?”

“I’ll be fine, Aris,” Nikos answers, his voice low, though I’m not quite sure if it’s fear or hesitation in his voice. “You need to get out of their range.”

“Alright,” I say in barely a whisper, knowing in my heart that I’m lying.

There is no way in Hell I am going to leave Nikos unconscious in the woods, or wherever it is that we happen to land in.

“Just close your eyes,” he whispers in my ears.

I nod into the crook of his neck and do as I’m told, too scared to do otherwise.

The logical side of me is telling me that I am definitely going to die from the impact alone, but the other side of me, the one that believes in magic – and is starting to become the more dominant part of my mind – is telling me that I should just trust Nikos.