Chapter 11

Given that I live in a male populated army camp - bathing is extremely difficult.  I snuck out of the camp with a woven quilt to serve as a towel and some lye soap that would suffice for washing the grime off of my body.  The moon was shining down on me as I walked.  The light would have once made my pale skin illuminate, but my now tan and rougher skin seemed to be less affected.  I stepped lightly through the tall grass, avoiding the muddy patches and trying to keep from stepping on the animals inside. It was this particular moment that I regretted going barefoot.

My little sanction in the lake was calling out to me.  There were a few old willow trees lining the shoreline that provided the perfect cover for me.  I took off the sweaty, dust ridden undergarments and threw them to the ground with almost too much satisfaction.  I pulled my hood off and shook my hair out, enjoying the feeling of my sore hair brushing around my face.  My red hair was now down to my shoulders.  It was risky to have hair this long, but I really didn't have the time or privacy to cut it again.  People would have questions if I took my sword down to the lake...

I waded out into the water, fighting off the urge to scream at its chilliness.  I could practically feel the grime coming off of my skin.  As I washed off the dirt, my arm caressed the large scar on my forearm.  It had never really healed.  The skin was still puckered from where the blade had marred it.  I stroked it for a moment, a shiver of remembrance running through my body.  This scar was the first of many that I had been accumulating.  I had other small knicks on my arms from when I let my guard down in battle. 

Battle.  That was a strong word.  We had fought in many and shared a good portion of wins and losses.  There was no feeling in the world like standing in a line of men, all covered in armor to the point that you cannot tell who they are at a glance. Then there is That drum that plays to ready the troups.  Its low, steady melody makes the hair on my neck stand at attention.  I had watched one of our men fall.  It had been a horrifying experience, but unless you move on quickly someone will have to dig a grave for you too.

The night air tickled my skin as I emerged from the water.  The lye soap made my hair sticky and plastered to my forehead.  I took my time drying myself off, savoring the moments that I could just sit here in silence.  I concentrated on the beads of water on my arms that had collected there.  With a sad smile I realized that I really had no choice but to return.  Of course I loved living with the men in the camp - they were my big brothers.  They guarded me even when I would laugh them off and tell them I was fine. 

I threw my clothes on, fastening my belt with a gentle tug before briskly walking back to camp.  The stars were out now and I picked out all of the constellations.  Kay used to show me them when we were readying for a battle to keep our mind off of the carnage to come.  Speaking of Kay, I was walking back toward his tent.  It was farthest from the center of the camp.  I was thinking about all of the times Kay and I had shared, feeling a light blush come to my cheeks when I heard a voice, "Why are you out here all alone?  It almost looks suspicious."

Lancelot stepped out from out of the shadows.  I took a deep breath to compose myself, "I was just about to ask you the same question."

He shook his head, "Yes, but I was in a meeting with Arthur, I have a solid allibi."

"And I enjoy the silence of the evening," I challenged, "I just wanted to be alone."

"Back to Kay you mean," he smiled.  A shiver ran down my back at that smile, "You sure spend a lot of time with him these days."  My intention had been to make sure that Kay was alright.  We hadn't really talked since the encounter with Arthur.

"What are you implying?" I demanded, "We come from the same town and we miss it.  Being around each other is a way of getting rid of the nostaulgia.  I miss my parents and he misses what... messed up group of people his family served to be.  Certainly you can understand that.  Good night, Lancelot."