Chapter 8

Her name was Gwenivere.  At dinner that night, she sat next to Arthur, not paying him any mind.  Arthur sat on the far side of the round table, eating silently.  Out table was stressed.  No one spoke without thinking their words through first, making conversations serious and not nearly as fun as they once were.

The girl didn't pay us any mind.  In fact, she seemed repulsed by our very presence.  She picked at her food, her nose inching up into the air with every bite.  She seemed as if she thought she was above us, like we were trash. I stabbed another bite of lamb and plopped it in my mouth, savoring the taste.

While I enjoyed my treasure, I watched the table.  My eyes drifted to Lancelot and I followed his gaze, which rested on Gwenivere.  I didn't read too far into the immediate connection.  Kay was sitting next to me.  He had apologized before dinner and I forgave him - how couldn't I?  Bedivere was to my left, helping himself to mountains of potatoes and beans.  I stared at him in shock as he dished his fifth helping onto his plate.

Finally we heard someone clear their throat.  Arthur (or what was left of him at this point) stood and turned to us, "As you have noticed, we have a guest.  This is Gwenivere, daughter of General Tames of Goldberg.  She and I are betrothed."

An emotion flickered across his face that I could not decipher... jealousy?  Or maybe sorrow.  After that brief introduction, I felt my apetite subside.  How could I sit here and eat when this man's life was being trashed.  I stood, not saying a word, and left.  I felt a couple dozen pairs of eyes on me as I left. 

Wandering aimlessly through the corridors and stairs, I wandered up to the garden on the roof of the castle.  It was small with roses and a fountain much like the courtyard where Lancelot and I had fought.  I went and sat on the fountain ledge, letting the water run through my nimble fingers.  I heard footsteps and looked up to see Kay there, smiling, "I see you have found a retreat."

I sighed, "I guess you could call it that."

I sat next to me, watching me, "Elaine, are you alright?  Are you homesick?  Ill?"

"I am fine."

"And you are lying," He added, lightly grasping my wrist to turn me to face him, "and if you had the least bit of common sense, you would tell me."

"I worry that I will be found out-"

"You won't."

"Well, Lancelot seemed suspicious and when we fought-"

"You FOUGHT him?  Elaine, are you bloody MAD?" He yelled in a hushed tone.  His eyes softened at his words and he pinched the bridge of his nose, "What if you had been wounded and sent home?  What if you had been discovered?  What if-"

"We were interrupted,"  I mumbled.

His head snapped up, "You won't do it again, clear?"

I narrowed my eyes, "Unless he makes the first move."

"Damnit, Elaine, you're stubborn as a mule."

"But what if he tries to attack me again, huh?  Do you want me to just stand there and scream until the entire palace goes deaf?" I asked, giggling slightly.

He shook his head, "What am I going to do with you?"

..............................................................

The next morning I woke up in Kay's arms, the way I liked best.  I rolled gently to face him, tracing my small thumb against the side of his cheek.  He moaned gently in the back of his throat, his eyes fluttering open.  When our gazes met he smiled a warm smile, his blue eyes dancing in the morning light.  His gaze went to my lips and my breath caught in my throat.  My eyes closed on their own accord and his lips brushed mine gently.