01 | hug

the next day arden had found her way back to elliot, hurrying towards him.

elliot grinned at her.

"what's gotten you so cheerful this morning?"

she couldn't keep a smile off her face.

"you."

elliot held out his arms for a hug and arden gladly accepted, stepping forward into his embrace comfortably. she felt him sigh into her neck with ease, causing her to smile.

"who made you so happy this morning?" arden whispered.

she could pratically feel the grin on his face.

"you, like always. it's always you, love." elliot whispered back, holding her tighter.

arden let out a breath, snuggling into him.

"i'm glad." she said softly.

elliot smiled.

"me too," he murmured. "me too."

━━━

once school had ended, the two of them had headed over to arden's house, walking upstairs to to her room.

arden stopped nervously outside of her door.

"uhm," she said sheepishly. "i don't wanna offend you or anything, but i've never had a boy in my room before so..."

elliot laughed.

"why would that offend me? come on, it can't be that bad, right?"

arden's cheeks burned with embarrassment.

"r-right." she stammered.

elliot seemed to realize her discomfort and gave her a small smile.

"it's okay, arden. we can hangout somewhere else if you want. i don't mind."

she let out a breath of relief.

"sorry," arden mumbled. "it's just..."

she shook her head.

"actually, we can go in my room if you would like..?" arden trailed off.

elliot nervously laughed.

"uh, are you sure? like i said, we don't have to-"

"i want to," arden cut him off. "i actually do want to. but promise me that you won't laugh, okay?"

"arden, why would i laugh at your room?" elliot asked, eyebrows pinched together in a frown. "it's your room. why would i judge anything of yours?"

she shrugged.

"i suppose you're right." she mumbled.

elliot grinned.

"when am i not right?"

she raised an eyebrow.

"don't get all cocky on me, elli." arden teased, smiling at him.

elliot winked in return.

letting out a breath, arden slowly opened the door to her hideaway. she heard a gasp from behind her, and turned around in one quick motion.

"what?" arden stiffened.

"nothing," elliot reassured. "it's just, wow, your room is so cool!"

she relaxed, smiling at him.

"thanks, but it's nothing much."

truly, at least to her, it was. her room consisted of a double-sized bed, a dark oak bookshelf, and fairy lights hanging above her headboard.

simplicity was the key of her life.

"'nothing much'? are you kidding me? this is amazing!"

"really?" she watched as a smile broke out on his face.

"yes! i love your room," he gushed. "it's elegant and i can tell that it suits you. well, after all, it is your room. but hey, it's still super cool. i can't believe you were nervous to show me all of this. honestly, this is awesome, wow."

arden laughed at elliot's rambling.

"thank you," she smiled. "but for what it's worth, you didn't have to say all of that. the first little bit was just fine."

blushing in embarrassment, elliot nodded.

"sorry, sometimes i get ahead of myself." he explained, scratching the back of his head.

"it's okay," she said, reassuring him. "i don't mind at all."

looking at her, elliot held out his arms for yet another hug. arden grinned at him and accepted his offer without doubt. he quickly wrapped his arms around her small frame, resting his chin on top of her head in silence.

they embraced, the two of them relaxing as time went by. they both ended up laying sprawled out on arden's bed in comfort, listening to the sound of each other's heartbeats.

arden moved her head slightly away from elliot's chest.

"elliot," she licked her lips nervously. "what are we?"

elliot paused, re-adjusting his head to look at her.

"for now, let's just enjoy being friends," he responded, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "we can worry about the rest in the future."

arden nodded, curling up beside him.

"but, for what it's worth, you're everything that i ever need in my life. you, darling, are the oxygen i breathe." elliot said softly into her ear, kissing her temple gently.

with a content sigh, arden smiled into his chest.

"cuddle buddies?" she mumbled sleepily.

she felt him smile.

"cuddle buddies."