13

Na Jaemin

I couldn't sleep. And so, there are dark circles around my eyes.

"You didn't get enough sleep, my dear?" My mom asked. She placed down a glass of milk beside my plate before picking up her bag. "You should rest today if you are tired. You can skip school today, okay?"

Without saying anything anymore, mom and dad left the house, leaving me alone in this quiet place.

I suddenly felt more lonely.

I stared at my plate, my food, and even on the milk.

Come to think of it, they've always been treating me like a kid.

Milk? Seriously?

Maybe they really still want me to sleep and finally, get enough rest.

I placed the dishes on the sink before lying down my heavy body on the couch. Maybe, I'm just really tired.

I closed my eyes as the memories of last night flashed back.

Flashback

"We were just pretending. Don't you remember?"

I remained silent.

She's right.

That was our plan.

But I thought -

"I was serious. But I also get tired, Jaemin. I can't wait for you forever."

"I love you."

She looked surprised but she managed to say, "You're only saying what you think you should. You don't love me for real. You can't make me stay just like that."

"I love you, Da Eun. Why don't you believe me?" I asked holding onto her hands. I caressed them, trying to make her feel I'm sincere.

"Can you hear yourself? You're lying to yourself. You're not trying to convince me. You are trying to convince yourself."

She sighed before continuing, "If I ask you since when, what would you say?"

I was obviously surprised but I wanted her to stay so I said "I loved you since the day we agreed to pretend we are together."