Chapter 15: Mind Cart

When Ellie finally reunited with Wattson, Potter, and Waffles, Phil and Helga were lost near the old mine shaft. They had reached a dead end, so Phil flew around overhead in search of a hidden clearing.

Helga peered in the mine shaft tunnel. It was incredibly dark inside. Tiny pink mushrooms grew around the entrance with ladybugs sitting on top. A cool breeze was flowing out from inside strangely.

Helga tried to convince Phil earlier about exploring the mine shaft. Although the chances of finding Ellie and the others in the mine shaft were slim, it didn't hurt to investigate the tunnel anyway. Phil, however, insisted with enthusiasm that he could find Ellie by flying around ahead. All he had to do was look for a 'T-Ellie-Phone' that kept falling over on her face.

"Phil!" Helga called from the ground. She picked one of the glowing mushrooms. "I think we should at least try this tunnel. I have the feeling there's something on the other side." She looked up into the sky. "Phil?"

Phil continued to fly in the air. He wasn't nervous about being separated from Ellie like before. Phil was having a fun time flying around with his new wings. Since Phil had always been a ceiling lamp, he never had the opportunity to move freely like the others. It felt wonderful to walk or fly with his buddies for the first time, but Phil was more distracted than even. He completely forgot why he was flying in the first place!

"Wheeeeee!" He did a flip in the air. "Hahaha! I take it back! I like being a bird!"

Suddenly, Phil spotted something down below. Squeakly and four other rats were sneaking up on Helga from behind some mushrooms. Phil quietly landed on a mushroom and looked at them with one eye, secretly eavesdropping on the rodents.

"Alright," Squeakly whispered to the other rats. "That's the tape recorder his highness told us about. Remember, no mercy!"

"Dah! But she's so cute!" squeaked one of the rats. "Look at her! What a babe! Let's just take her for ourselves and call it a day. His highness will never know!"

"Focus, you idiot!" Squeakly snapped as he bopped the rat on the head. "If his highness found out we did that, it will cost us our functions, or since we are rats, it will cost us our lives! Now follow my lead men and don't get distracted!"

Noticing they had plugs ready to zap Helga any second, Phil squawked and swooped down to Helga.

"Quick!" he whispered quietly. "Into the tunnel!"

"What's wrong, Phil?" Helga asked as Phil pushed her along. "Why are you..."

"Don't ask now!" The two moved into the tunnel. "Ask later!"

The mine shaft was a dark cave filled with copper ore. Water dripped down from the ceiling and blue bats hung in groups over Phil and Helga. Phil noticed a mine cart sitting idle on some tracks. It was a rusty, iron cart that looked like it was abandoned long ago.

"What is with this tunnel?" Phil laughed nervously. "Does the royal Twinkie have his rats search for lost stones? Oh, nevermind. That only happens in movies anyway."

There was the sound of footsteps following behind them. The rats must have caught them going into the mine shaft.

"Squawk! Hurry! Hop inside!"

Phil picked up Helga with his feet and plopped her in the mine cart. He landed next to her and ducked down.

"Phil," Helga whispered. "What is with you? Please tell me!"