Chapter Ten

Anxiety...

He shuddered and glanced around the room, catching a glimpse of the shadow that had been following him ever since Thomas took the anxiety medication. He'd yet to see the shadow manifest but he knew someone was there.

"A-Anxiety?"

"What?" He snapped, pulling himself back to the present.

Patton cleared his threat. "Sorry kiddo, but you zoned out and I got kinda worried."

"I'm fine."

"I believe you." But Anxiety knew that Patton didn't. Nobody did anymore and it was eating him alive. Ever since the incident, the others had constantly been checking up on him and he craved his solitude.

"Whatever."

They don't trust you...

He sighed, feeling his head droop as he walked back to his room. They didn't trust him and while it was out of concern, it still stung. They didn't believe him anymore, they were babysitting him like he was a child that couldn't do things by himself.

"I believe you."

His eyes widened and he ran the last few steps to his room, slamming the door behind him and diving into his bed. He could see the swirling shadow out of the corner of his eyes but still it didn't solidify.

"Who are you?" He hated the way his voice trembled. It made him feel weak and that was wrong. He wasn't allowed to be weak.

"You know who I am."

And he did. He'd known from the very beginning, when that little voice in his head had suddenly sprung to life. He'd wondered how long it would take for it to become visible.

"Why haven't I seen you before now?"

"Your mind is your weakness."

He chewed his lip anxiously. "The confrontation with Logan."

A breathy laugh. "Yes."

And then he saw it.

The wisps of shadow darkened into black jeans and a black jumper. Black hair framed a deathly pale face with red, blotchy cheeks and blood-shot eyes. The newcomer smiled cruelly. "Hello Virgil."

He sighed. "Guess I'm gonna have to change to purple now. Dammit."

The other frowned. "What?"

Anxiety motioned to the black clothes. "We match. You took away my black. I guess I have to switch to purple or something."

"Why are you not afraid of me?"

Anxiety shrugged. "I'm sick of being afraid."

The newcomer smiled. "Derek."

"What?"

"My name is Derek. I'm your Depression."

Anxiety sat back. So it had finally happened. He couldn't hide it from himself anymore. He had depression. He'd felt it, known it was there, and now it was here and it's name was Derek?

"Nice to meet you?" He sounded unsure and Derek nodded.

"Pleasure."

Anxiety flopped back on his bed, groaning. "As if I didn't have enough problems."

"I'm not exactly a problem," Derek said, sitting next to the darker trait. "I don't affect Thomas in any way. I don't affect the others either. I am your personal depression and I don't do anything except be here. If you feel upset or sad or lonely, that's just my aura."

Anxiety sat back up. "So you're just...here?"

Derek dipped his head. "That's what I said."

Anxiety frowned again. "But I thought-"

"You thought I was some kind of monster?" Derek interrupted with a sad smile. "It's okay, everyone always thinks that. You and I, we're diseases. We get shamed, shunned, pushed around, just because we do our jobs."

"We were created to do our jobs," Anxiety murmured.

"Exactly."

They fell into silence and Anxiety had to admit that it was nice. Depression was nothing like he'd expected and it was nice to have someone to talk to.

"I have to admit something to you though." Derek's voice was apologetic. "I will affect you. You cannot stop or change that. I am here because you are not happy. I will not make you happy, but I will not push you further down. Too many people before me have done that."

"You're different," Anxiety said.

Derek huffed a laugh. "I hope that's not a bad thing."

"It depends on who's perspective your looking at it from."

"True."

"I think you're a good different."

"Thank you Virgil."

They lapsed into silence and before Anxiety could help it, he giggled. It was just too silly and unbelievable. He had depression and he was happy about it? He truly was messed up. But he had somebody. Someone who could sit and listen and understand.

"Why were you so horrible before?" Anxiety asked. "When you were just thoughts in my head."

Derek hesitated. "I told you that I am here to do my job. To give you those darker thoughts is my job and for that I am sorry."

Anxiety let out a breath. "I can understand that it's your job. I don't enjoy making Thomas anxious but that is my job. It's okay."

Derek laid back and stared into the swirling galaxy that was Anxiety's roof. "You are different too."

"Good different or bad different?" Anxiety joked.

Depression thought about it for a while. "Good different," he decided. "I definitely think you are a good different."

So, new character!! Derek/Depression.

Thomas does not have depression as far as I am aware and I will not pretend he does for the sake of this story. This is Virgil's story and I honestly love the idea of Anxiety finally having a friend made of pain.

I don't know, what do you guys think?

Leave me some comments!