Chapter 9: Jake or Zach

I went to the Janssen’s the next day to check on Jake, praying hard that I would not run into Zach, I don’t know what to say to him.

“Hey, Dana.” Jake called from the study.

I followed his voice and found him sitting in a black leather armchair. A tray of chips and sodas was laid out in front of him. The wide-screen TV was on.

“Hi, I said? How’s your ankle?”

“It’s fine. Sorry about last night.  I sent Zach to pick you up.”

Oh he did more than pick me up. “Yeah.” I said instead. “So what are you watching?”

“Videos of my football games.” He said barely taking his eyes off the screen. “I was studying the plays to see where I went wrong.”

“Really? You watch yourself for hours?”

“Come on Dana, it’s not an ego thing. I want to be the best quarterback I can be and it took a lot of hardwork to achieve that, including this.” Then he smiled playfully. “but now that you’re here, I’ve got another thing on my mind.” He said running his hand up my arm. When he reached my shoulder, he pulled me to him.

“What’s that?” I teased.

“This.” He said as his lips touched mine.

I closed my eyes, but instead of picturing Jake, an image of Zach filled my mind.

Zach…

Had my crush for Jake gotten out of control? Had it prevented me from seeing the truth? Was it possible that I really was in love with Zach?

I was still muling about that when his lips left mine. He smiled at me and I smiled back.

“Uhm Jake, where is Zach?”

“He went out on a date.”

I was shocked. Zach went out on a date? With whom? After kissing me like that, he went out on a date with another girl.

You went on kissing his brother, after you had kissed him. I reminded myself.

“With whom?”

“Nathalie.”

I was upset, Nathalie? Since when did Zach had been interested with Nathalie, and he was Jake’s ex-girlfriend. What, did he developed a habit of picking up Jake’s exes?

I looked at Jake he was so engrossed with watching himself on the screen that he’s not paying attention to me anymore. I had to get out of here before Zach came home from his date with Nathalie. My feelings for Jake was fast changing too. I needed time to think things through. Time alone, with either of the Janssen brothers.

“Jake I have to go.” I said standing up.

“But you gost got here.” He protested, he grabbed my arm and pulled me back down.

“I really have to go.” I said, starting to get annoyed.

“oh, okay,” he said. “But one last kiss.” He pulled me to him with such force that I ended up on top of him in the leather chair. One hand held my waist, and he forcefully pressed my head toward his face.

“Jake, stop, you’re hurting me.”

And that’s when Zach walked in.

“Let her go. Jake.”

I quickly pulled away from Jake.

“So how was Nathalie?” Jake asked his brother, malice evident in his voice that I cringed.

Zach just shrugged. “Okay, I guess.”

I felt a twinge of jealousy. “I’ve got to go home. Uhm, I’ll finish my homework.” I said, moving fast to get to the door, leaving both brothers to talk about Zach’s date with Nathalie.