Chapter 9

I stood there for about two more minutes, just taking everything in. Eventually, I gathered myself together enough and left the storage closet. Lunch, by the time I got into the cafeteria, was already over and it was time to finish the school day. 

I met up with Blake, walking into Advanced Reading. Slowly, I reentered my no-speaking theory. 

“So,” He began as we took our seats- only two apart. He continued as the people in between us didn’t enter the classroom. “Where’d you go during lunch? I was looking for you, but I couldn’t find you anywhere.” He began taking out his notebook and textbook.

Doing the same, I shrugged in response. He rolled his eyes and let out a large sigh, becoming more and more frustrated with me not talking. 

“Annabeth,” He began a conversation again. “I need to tell you something.” He had an intensity in his black eyes that could only be described as a dire need to tell me what he needed to say. Like if he didn’t tell me, he would never tell me or just explode. “Now, I know that I haven’t known-” He was cut off by a large sound over the loudspeakers.

I heard our secretary’s voice, and then our principal’s. They were all pleading. Then a yell. “SILENCE!”

Everyone in the classroom froze. Even our teacher. 

“Hello, students.” His voice was so creepy. It kind of reminded me of the stereotypical evil scientists, but worse. This voice sounded more crazy, kill-crazy, if it was possible. 

I looked at Blake, he looked impassive, but I could tell he was nervous, not scared- Blake doesn’t get scared- but nervous. 

“I would like to say that I’m sorry for interrupting your school day, but I have been ignored by one of your fellow classmates, tenth graders. You see, something, a long time ago, happened to her and her family, but it went wrong. And I need to be payed back.” 

I knew who he was talking about. I knew it. Blake did too. He looked over at me, fear was now blatantly obvious on his face. However, I was trained to keep emotions off my face and held them all inside, but I couldn’t help my eyes from widening.

He started again. “I don’t know how many new kids you have this year, but she’s one.” I was the only new kid. “Now, darling, you know who you are. This is directly toward you now.” I gulped despite my resistance to wear my heart on my sleeve. “I’ve sent you notes. You seem to have found two of them. However, my third has you stuck, hasn’t it? All I can tell you, dear, is that your time is almost come to an end. I have been patient, but you know just how hard it is to want something so bad and just watch it slip away. Or love something so bad and then have it taken from you, right?” My family. Josh. “So, I’m giving you a choice. You can come down to the office with me now, or...” 

He stopped a dreadful pause. For a moment, I thought someone had restrained him or maybe the police came and I was relieved at that thought, but he just cleared his throat and continued.

“You can continue to look. But remember, eventually I will take all of your loved ones away from you. Every. Last. One. Until you have no choice but to give up. Eventually, if you keep this up, you will have no one to help you.”

My eyes widened; he knew. 

“Yes. I know. I have eyes everywhere. Nothing you do goes unseen by me, darling. So, you have your choice. You have ten minutes. Everyone else, if you aren’t part of what I’m talking about or have no clue what I’m talking about, even teachers, leave now. NOW!” 

Everyone left. Just like that. They all ran out the door. I put my head in my hands. Blake came up behind me and rubbed my shoulders, whispering in my ears that everything will be okay. He talked again.