[9] A Meeting Of Fate

It was the usual calm morning. Tsunami was busy cooking and the other members of Team 7 had yet to rise. Being the early birds they were, Kohana and Sasuke were already assembled at the dining table. They'd settled into a comfortable silence until Sasuke dispelled it with a deep sigh. "You're reading again. How many of those have you read?" 

Kohana held up five fingers without looking up from her new book. "Ten words. This is my sixth book. I've still gotta re-read and annotate. I feel like I'm missing something..."

Sasuke just clicked his tongue, causing Kohana to look over her book at him. He certainly looked grumpy and had his chin on his hand looking like a kid who just got scolded. Kohana snickered at him. "What's wrong, Sasuke-chan? Mad that I ain't giving you enough attention?" The incensed Uchiha's eyes snapped to Kohana's direction. He glared menacingly. "You wanna fight?" he grumbled. Kohana just laughed, and it seemed this annoyed Sasuke further. That wasn't very fun. 

She put her book down. "Hey, what's up? Is it your training?"

Sasuke groaned quietly under his breath and slumped against the table. 

"Hm... Guess it is." Kohana chewed on her lip. If Sasuke was looking this bothered, then it must really be bad. "I've seen your tree, y'know?" At this, Sasuke looked at her, pouting a little bit less now. 

"You're doing great."

He huffed. "Not great enough. I have to get it right before Naruto does."

Kohana faked a gasped and clapped her hands. "Wow!"

Sasuke grumbled again. Sometimes, Kohana really wondered how much stress his corrugator supercilli muscles were going through from all the glaring and sulking he did. "What now?"

"That was so honest! Congratulations, Sasuke-kun. I think I know what your problem is."

Sasuke's eyebrows practically rose to his hairline. "What?"

Kohana held up a finger and wagged it. Sasuke went cross-eyed trying to follow it, but it soon appeared to dawn on him how stupid he looked and nudged Kohana's hand away. 

"You focus on Naruto too much!" As expected, Sasuke's jaw dropped ever-so-slightly. What was he doing looking so offended? Kohana shrugged at him, genuinely surprised at his surprise. "What? You jus' admitted it yourself, y'know? You guys have to make everything a competition when you're supposed to be learning and furthering yourselves. Competition is healthy and all, but if you wanna be stronger, 'ya gotta learn on focusing on yourself and block everything out, y'know?"

Sasuke stared at her, mouth agape. 

Kohana stared back. "Seriously? Idiots..." 

"Th-Thanks..." Sasuke stuttered out, then before Kohana could even realize it, he dashed out of the house and leaving a cloud of dust in his wake.

From the kitchen area, Tsunami was chuckling under her breath. "It's like you're everyone's big sister!" 

Kohana sighed. "You don't even know half of it, Tsunami-san..."

"It's good, though, I can see that Kakashi-san can breathe a little easier with someone like you as his subordinate?"

Kohana thought back to her conversation with the jōnin the night before. "Really...?"

Tsunami chuckled again. "Yes, really. Now..." she turned around with a carrot in hand. "Will you help me prepare for breakfast?"

Flustered, Kohana immediately leaped out of her seat. She usually helped Tsunami out, but she'd completely forgotten! "Y-Yes, Tsunami-san!"