II.

The next day was more or less the same. It was near the end of the day when everything changed. As always, my shift ended when the store closed.

Mr. Singer once again asked if he could give me a ride home.

"No, thanks, I think I should walk today," I replied, putting my cold hands in my pockets.

"Okay, stay safe," he said, then he started to pull the truck out of the parking lot.

I looked at the road ahead of me and started walking. The moon was halfway up in the sky and on the other side was a combination of oranges, yellows, pinks, purples, and blues. The clouds were wisps. I stopped for a second to take in a fresh breath of air.

Continuing to walk, I tried to pull the piece of candy I had out of my pocket. Who knew a simple task could end up being difficult? I stopped again to get the candy. It wasn't that I was hungry, I just needed something to calm my nerves. Something felt off that night, and it was uncertain as to whether I was starting to go back to my paranoid nature or if something was actually wrong.

There was the sound of twigs crunching, I looked to see if I could trace the source of the noise. Standing still and staying silent, I waited to be sure nobody would follow me. Maybe it'd be better if I ran, but if it was an animal it would be in vain.

A figure, standing at least six feet, came onto the pathway. My body froze.

"Aaylah, it's just me, I don't have time to explain, but you need to get out of this town."

I had so many questions, but decided to stick to the most important one, "Where do I go?" I asked.

"There's a town on the other side of the woods. Go there. Find Evelyn, she'll know what to do."

The words were strange, but all I said was, "Town, Evelyn. Got it."

"Go. Before it's too late."

I took one last look at the town, took a deep breath, and walked in, every step swallowing me in the never-ending abyss of darkness.

There's something about the woods at night that puts my mind on edge. Every sound is amplified, and I never know whether it's dangerous or if I'm only a nervous wreck. The owls were calling and the sound of all the other nocturnal animals filled the air. The wild cats were the worst. I'd heard stories constantly throughout my childhood of an attack that happened several years ago. Last I recall, the victim made it out fine, but the stories differ from person to person.

The more I walked, the thicker the trees became, I had to take more caution, so I wouldn't trip on the roots or growing plants. Poison ivy was another problem, but it was near impossible to tell if it was poison ivy or a regular old plant in the dark.

I noticed a change in the plants and assumed there was water nearby. Most likely a creek. The trees were a bit more scarce as I trudged on, the sparkling reflection of the moon's glow on the water caught my eye. I attempted to run to the water, but the thick floor plants prevented that from happening. Soon enough, I reached the creek. Turning my head to take in the surroundings, I made sure none of the animals I was trying to avoid had the same idea of a late-night drink. None did.

I leveled up with the water falling directly off of the rocks, balanced myself on my knees, and cupped my hands together to get a drink. It wasn't the taste I was used to, but it was water, so I didn't complain. After about four handfuls, I got back up and continued.

A while later I had to fight to continue going. My legs burned with every step I took, and my feet were on the verge of suicide. My eyes were heavy, and my head had more pressure than the bottom of the ocean. Deciding I'd had enough, I found a place I deemed safe and slept against the tree. It didn't take me long to doze off. I don't vividly remember my dreams that night, but I remember the feeling I had when I woke up. They weren't pleasant.

Remembering the events of the night before, I jumped to my feet, on edge, and looked around for any potential dangers. It was as safe as possible, so I began my journey again. Trekking through the trees was just as hard as it was last night, but at least now there was sunlight, even though it was scarce.

After, what seemed like hours, and I didn't have a watch to say otherwise, a town was able to be made out through the trees. I wanted to start running, but it wasn't the best idea when snakes still slithered around. Walking, taking small steps, to ensure I wouldn't step on a snake. I began to scratch my head, thanks to the grass from last night.

The town was now in my grasp, I scoped the ground. It was no longer littered with plants. No snakes. It was then, that I realized, I checked for snakes, but not branches, roots, or stones. And I forgot about those until I tumbled down.

I picked myself up and dusted off my hands and clothes. There were a few minor cuts and scrapes, but they didn't seem deep enough to be a problem. Then I continued to run. I stopped to catch my breath once my feet felt the pavement. Finally, one step closer. I bent over and placed my hands on my knees and took deep breaths, trying to make up for the moments of running that took place moments before.

The town had an eerie feel to it. In a way it seemed abandoned, like a ghost town almost, only I had watched as a man run into his house, or at least I'd assumed it was his house. If it weren't for that unnaturally strange occurrence, I would've left. But I hoped this was the town Michael was talking about if there were other towns nearby to get confused with.

The sun wasn't exactly in the middle of the sky, but it wasn't setting yet, either. So I made a mental note that I had a few hours before it would be dark. The sooner I find Evelyn the better.