Chapter 22 - Long Sips and Baggy Knits

Hi guys!

I hope you enjoy this chapter...Also - if you haven't already, don't forget to vote on your favorite gown in the previous chapter!

10 votes for the next chapter please!

Also, don't be a silent reader, please come and say hi! Even PM me if you'd like! I love to hear from you!!

- Andrea

Chapter 22.

Ashlyn takes a long sip from her coffee.

She stares at me the whole time.

Sometimes, I wonder if she has any concept of personal boundaries...she's freaking me out a bit.

"So..." She starts, placing her cup back down on the glass table we're both sitting at.

My brow furrows, I'm not entirely sure where she's heading with this.

"You like hats now?"

My hands reach up and brush against the baggy beanie I've tucked my hair into.

I nod.

"Yeah. I just thought, with winter and all...It was maybe time for a change in style?" I respond, taking a sip from my own hot chocolate as I try to avoid further questioning from my fiery friend.

She shrugs, "Well, alright. I guess that makes sense. I'm just so used to seeing you with your hair all over your face."

I laugh uneasily, "Haha, yeah...I guess it's more convenient this way."

I don't want to tell her about what I did to my hair.

Not yet.

It's not that I'm ashamed or embarrassed about it, it's a haircut for goodness sake!

But I just don't feel ready to show Ashlyn what it now looks like. It feels like I'm only halfway through my metamorphosis right now, I'd like to hold off until I'm completely ready.

The two of us had scheduled coffee at one of the beachfront cafés this morning before we head into town to do some serious shopping.

The time has arrived for us to pick out dresses for prom.

It's less than a week away, but the two of us have been a bit last minute about the whole thing.

We've both had more important issues to address recently, like assignments, training, life in general.

So now we're the last two girls (that we know anyway) that are yet to secure a garment for the 'big night.

"I'm still surprised you haven't gotten your dress yet." I say to Ash, raising my brows as I give her a speculative look. She is running for prom queen after all...

"Well." She starts, sweeping a cascade of red curls over her shoulders, "I'm sure I'll find the perfect one. There's no rush, to be honest. It's a fundamental part of my campaign: Ashlyn, the carefree queen!"

I laugh a little at her response.

"I've got your vote, right?" She asks me.

I nod, "Sure, sure!"

"Thank you! It would be hilarious to beat Selina at her own game; she's determined to take this out."

"What about Laura though?" I add, "I mean, she can read minds...and I've heard she's beginning to get a hang on manipulating them. Don't you worry about that?"

Ashlyn rolls her eyes, "Laura can do what she wants, I can just pin her to the wall with a few arrows if she doesn't play fair."

I seriously hope she's kidding.