Sirius Black- With Lily

"So, let me get this straight, you ran away from home, almost used magic and got caught, got rescued by the Knight Bus, and jumped on Evans. You awesome creature!", James was saying, about fifteen minutes after his heroic entry in the house. He was plopped on his bed, Sirius on the window sill, and a fuming Lily was sitting crisply on a chair. Her face almost the same colour as her hair, she had pursed her lips and was listening to Sirius' story.

She suddenly made an odd sound that was somewhere between a scoff and a snort. Both boys looked at her. "Well, all I'm saying is, I don't think it is funny. If he had been caught, and if they came to know at school; Ohh! The name of Gryffindor, and me being a prefect, and if mum and dad knew, and if - if - If Severus came to know... Then WHAT! I was witness to a breach of the law!" She paused and took a deep breath; she had said all this without a break, very fast indeed.

"Whoa, Evans, I think none of all your worries is really alarming, even to you." James scrunched up his face in a way one denies a request politely.

Lily was stunned in the middle of a retort, and ended up waving her fists and then folding her arms too tightly for them to look normal. Meanwhile Sirius began some small-talk, looking at Lily's expression. "So, James, what's happening here? I mean, with, you know-"He gestured with his eyes towards the furious Lily.

"Oh, it's nothing!",  "See, Dad had this workshop with the muggles, and he was promoting his old hair potion as- what do they call them?- shampoo! and then he met Mr. Evans and discovered that Lily and me are at Hogwarts together. So they came over for supper and Dad is now telling them that shampoo is actually potion and then you barge in and here we are.

'And you know the fun part? Lily had no idea whose house this was when she came. Oh! The look on her face was priceless." He broke into a fit of laughter and tears. Sirius imagined that and grinned. He loved being here! Even Lily gave a grudging twitch of lips. 

"James!" someone called from downstairs. "Come down here for a minute, love."

He gave a pleading sort of look to Sirius, jerked his head slightly towards Lily, and ran downstairs. Sirius interpreted that as, "Please get her to like me. This is an opportunity... won't come again."

So, Sirius began, "Um, so Lily, how are things?" 

Lily looked at him like, "You literally saw me a week ago at school, and you have been seeing me for six years now at school."

"Yeah, well! But you know, why are you always so angry with James? He isn't so bad, see?" Sirius said. Lily was stunned for a moment, then she seemed furtive, and said, "Sirius, look, please try to understand, its hard on me too. James doesn't make it easy to like him, he's so arrogant, and obstinate, and rude. He just doesn't understand that he's driving away any kind of potential liking for him, and-"

"Merlin's beard, Lily! He thinks being flashy and strong's going to impress you. He shows off before you all the time. And he only does that before you, most of the time anyway. Blimey, I had no idea. And I bet he doesn't either."

Lily, froze, in the middle of speech; the only word that Sirius caught was, 'Severus'. He decided not to comment on that or ask her anything. He just told her, "Look, he really, and genuinely likes you, and although his big head does get the better of him at times, he is a good person at heart. Didn't you see that day after the O.W.L.s? He was really angry with Snape, for calling you a... um, you know? Didn't calm down for the whole day. You should just give him a chance. He'll prove himself to you without him even knowing it."

Lily looked like she wanted to say something, but Sirius could tell, she was melting. At that precise moment, James ran into the room and was apparently bursting with news. "They want more of these meetings", he whooped with joy. "They like the other family, and it turns out, the Evans are almost our neighbours. Can you imagine that?" Then, suddenly, he realised that Lily was sitting there, very still. He said, tentatively, "We could meet again, like this, you know?" Lily nodded, like she slowly understood what he was saying. For once, James Potter seemed lost for words. Even Lily seemed to be searching for something to say.    

Sirius suddenly felt like an intruder. He quietly slipped away and walked towards the bathroom. Neither of them noticed. Then, someone called from downstairs, "James! Lily! Sirius! Come down, all of you." Sirius walked back to James' room and beckoned him to go down. The latter seemed to realise what Sirius was saying. He broke out of the silence, and said, "Uh, Lily, they're calling us downstairs. We should, um, " "Go?" she said. "Yeah, well, come on then."

The three of then went down, and Mr. and Mrs. Evans were waiting at the door. "Lily, darling, we are almost neighbours, see? And we should get together again sometime. James is in your year and house at Hogwarts, and seeing as you know Sirius here too, would you like that?" 

Lily, whose instinctive expression was on the verge of saying 'no', looked at James, and Sirius' encouraging smile, and said "I would lov- I would like that." She smiled a little and they left. 

The Potters then tended to Sirius, asked him why he left, then they told him he was free and would be welcomed to stay with them. They had a good supper, and then, as he climbed into bed, he finally remembered Grimmauld Place, and it sank in, that he had left it for good. This was his home now. He heard James mutter, "Thank you, Padfoot." Sirius grinned and replied "You too Prongs. Good night!" And for the first time in days, he slept soundly; as sound as only a content and free person sleeps.