Sirius Black - Finding the Potters

'Oh come onnn!', Sirius begged the skies. Of course, he couldn't see how that would work... he himself didn't really appreciate Divination; he supposed they did these kind of things there.

He had hoped to get it right forever. He should have gotten it right at least now. Apparition. He had given the exam but was yet to get the result. He had passed, in his opinion. And besides, a little mischief didn't hurt anyone. But nooo... he just couldn't do it. He turned and twisted and concentrated as best he could... but he was too angry to get his mind to focus.

He cursed and kicked a can lying nearby. Many muggles were already staring at him with raised eyebrows. He ignored them and walked ahead. Now what! His family would never take him back and nor would he ever try. He was done with them.

Now that he thought about it, and his anger subsided, he realised that he didn't have anywhere to go... or rather... any way to get there.

Godric's Hollow was too far for him to walk there. He hadn't been able to apparate -which was what he had been counting on- and now he was stuck.

So he walked on, and stopped at a muggle café nearby, thinking with glee how much he was defying his parents right now. Ha! If only they could see him now. Meanwhile he had trouble ordering something. They didn't have butterbeer or anything like that. The lady wasn't patient, but Sirius had no option but to stay there.

But all his time with Remus came to his help. So Sirius ordered a pastry, just to be able to stay put, and just because that was the only thing he found familiar -Merlin curse all the lattes and expressos. Sirius couldn't understand a word. So he ordered a pastry and also managed to pay.

He stayed there the whole time, but finally the lady at the counter shooed him away, saying that they had to close the café now.

Now again, Sirius had no idea where he would go and he began to get irritated. So, he kept walking. It was getting really dark now. But with nowhere to go, he trudged along. From his trunk, he took out a coat that he had packed. Still he shivered. The wintry cold was getting to him. Just when he was about to make camp there on the road for the night, an unusually harsh wind stopped him, 'Wha... who's there? I'm armed I tell you.' And just for good measure he took out his wand.

'Put that wand inside you silly boy. You want to get us in Azkaban?'

The person knew about a wand. And Azkaban. 'Who are you? Come face me.'

'Come on boy, you really think you can manage whatever you are trying alone?'

'But -'

'You still haven't put your wand away.'

Reluctantly, he put his wand inside. 'Yes, now'' the voice continued and BOOM! A long, big, and a very purple bus was in front of him. The Knight Bus. 'The Knight Bus. Perfect for stranded witches or wizards. So, need I say more or are you coming? We're rather in a hurry, you know. Or perhaps I should leave you to freeze on the street?', the young man on the bus continued. He had spiky, black hair, which he had dyed green in places.

In complete confusion, Sirius got on the bus. Then, slowly, it sinked in that he was going to the Potters' safely now. Oh, that felt good. Now he was off. To a place he could rightfully call "home".

'So, what are you out for?'

'Huh?', Sirius was taken by surprise at this sudden attempt at conversation by the spiky-haired man.

'I said... what-are-you-out-for?', he continued slowly and clearly, as though Sirius was a toddler or a mentally challenged person. This annoyed him.

'Out of what?'

'Out of wherever you should be boy, come on... I manage the Knight Bus, no one here is where they should be.'

'None of your business. Keep your nose out and take me to Godric's Hollow. Or leave me here and I'll go alone.'

'Ooh, stuffy passenger, no worries, no worries... HEY! One angry to Godric's Hollow', he yelled to the driver.

On this angry note, the Knight Bus lurched into action. They stopped at King's Cross to drop an elderly witch; the Leaky Cauldron to collect a hysterical wizard, who claimed he was attacked by ten hippogriffs; and then finally at Godric's Hollow.

Sirius stumbled outside, mumbling thanks to the conductor of the long-gone bus, as the realisation set in that he was only an open gate away to home. Leaping with joy, he ran past the gate towards the house.

He took a deep breath and slowly, hesitantly he rang the doorbell that was their for the sake of a safe and non-heart-attack-involving entry in side the house, and for the often visiting muggles. He counted to three, waiting, and the door opened on the third count. Sirius was ready to throw himself on the answerer, knowing it was usually James who did that.

Only, this time, it wasn't James.

He lost control of himself. If it were Mr. or Mrs. Potter that had answered, it would have been fine. They were used to "his little ways", as they called it. But when he literally pounced on this person, a lot of dark red hair and screams welcomed him.

Red hair? No one in the potter family had red hair. Besides, the scream besides his own had been a female voice. When they got untangled, he could barely believe his eyes.

There in the corner of the room stood James, looking very –embarrassed? And Sirius himself was looking at... he was looking at... And then it dawned on him, although he couldn't understand it at all.

He had jumped right on Lily Evans.