Chapter 7

Ron had a different mission for me today. Stalking was out of the question since I threw a fit whenever he mentioned it. There was no way I was going to stalk Ryan Wilson again. I didn't want to put my dignity at risk. Besides, I couldn't face him after what happened yesterday. It was too embarrassing.

It was four o'clock in the afternoon and I still had one more class to attend but for the sake of this stupid mission, I ditched it. I sat at the table across the Registrar's Office, trying to look harmless, while waiting for the right moment to strike. It was good that there were no students loitering around. It was odd enough that I was out here during class hours. I didn't need a witness.

The mission was quite simple. Ron wanted me to break into that office, find Ryan Wilson's file, and get his home address. When I asked about his motives, he told me that he wanted to spend the freaking weekend stalking Ryan, but since we didn't know where he lived, it left us no choice. We had to get his address no matter what. It wasn't like we didn't ask around. We talked to his classmates but they didn't have any idea. He was mysterious and quite secretive about his life so nobody really knew his personal details. Only the Registrar's Office had that information and it sucked because I was about to do something that would probably send me to the Disciplinary Office or, worse, get me kicked out of school.

I had never, in my entire life, broken a single school rule. I may not be smart but I made sure that I was, at the very least, a responsible student. I had been good yet here I was, foolishly throwing everything away. If I got caught breaking into an office and stealing information, if my mom found out, she would turn into a monster and eat me alive. God, I must be out of my mind. I must be crazy for letting Ron drag me along his schemes.

Sighing, I looked at the small brown bottle he gave me. He said that this was the key and I should cling to it as if my life depended on it. He carefully instructed me to put this to Mrs. Popkin's coffee and assured me that after she drank it, the coast would be clear.

"Is this... Is this poison?" I choked when he handed it to me.

He simply laughed. "No, it's just laxative."

I looked at the thing with disdain. "This gives off an evil vibe, you know?"

"Don't worry, she'll be alright," he said dismissively. "Remember, you must not be seen putting this in her drink or else we'll both be skinned alive."

"That's basic," I replied. "Where the heck did you get this idea anyway?"

He grinned evilly. "From Mr. Bean."

I don't think I'd ever see him again in the same light. I was a fan of Mr. Bean too but I didn’t extend it to actually following his examples. I guess Ron was different in every way. I realized I didn't want to be his enemy no matter what. The things he could do to me...

Shudder.

Just then, Mrs. Popkin stood up and went to the back of the office where, I assumed, the small kitchen was. When she came back, she was holding a mug of freshly made coffee. I wondered how Ron knew that Mrs. Popkin had her coffee break at this time. Maybe he stalked her, too.

God, what a creep.

The phone rang. Mrs. Popkin reached for the phone and I watched as her face turned deadly serious. She nodded a few times and dashed out of the office as soon as the call ended. She ran upstairs. What happened? It looked urgent.

  Beep.

I fished my phone out. I received a text from Ron and it said:

  I distracted Mrs. Popkin. I'll buy you some time. Go!