Chapter Seven - The Flaming Mockingjay

I woke up the next morning, the air of accomplishment still hanging around me. Getting a good score meant that people would want to sponsor you, but it could also mean that the other tributes would want to kill you first, to make sure they have gotten rid of the 'strongest', as so to speak. I definitely wasn't the strongest tributes. If I was compared to the Career tributes, I would probably look like some lost, little girl that shouldn't have received an eleven and a half. I shook my head so that the thoughts of the Games and the arena were out of my head completely, before I sat up and rubbed my eyes. I gingerly got out of bed and put on a black shirt and brown-green trousers. I then put on a pair of flat soled boots and put my hair in another side plait. I then made my way down to breakfast in the dining car. I entered and sat next to Grayson, who just gave me a small smile, like usual.

Before we had both gone to bed, I had told him the story of what happened in the Training Centre and he had seemed to be shocked, yet impressed. He said I didn't look like I was somebody who would do that. I replied with 'neither do you', which made him blush madly. He really was a shy little squirrel who generally looked like he had been caught in headlights. I then promised him I wouldn't pull off any other stupid stunts that could get me executed, with which I also added that I only did  it because the adrenaline and frustration had got the better of me and it was nothing to worry about, I wasn't going to get myself killed before I entered the arena.

I ate some scrambled eggs and took a sip of a drink Grayson had found and  introduced me to - hot chocolate. It really was delicious. Grayson seemed to love everything to do with chocolate and I honestly couldn't blame him, it was lovely and something we definitely could never afford back at home. It would be a waste, anyway. So we were going to enjoy it while we still could.

"What are we doing today?" I asked Effie, who was flicking through the pages attached to her clipboard. She looked up at me and gave me a small smile with her bright pink lips.

"As you know, tomorrow evening is your televised interviews, meaning that today you are going to have a session with Haymitch and I each. When you are with me, you will be working on presentation and how you carry yourself and when you are with Haymitch, you will go through content for your interview. You will have four hours with each of us. I start with you and Grayson, you will be with Haymitch for the beginning session. We start straight after breakfast. Any questions?" Grayson and I shook our heads. It sounded like a reasonable and easy day to me.

Well, that assumption was my first mistake of the day.

* * *

"Come on, Harper! Back straight and walk! Head high and- no, no! Careful! Heels aren't that hard, you know." Effie said as I stumbled about, rather ungracefully, in a pair of high heels I was being forced to walk in. I groaned and tried to stand up straighter and take a step, but I almost topped over, which could have resulted in a nose break and the wrath of my prep team. Walking in high heels was a lot harder than it looked and Effie made it look as if it was a breeze. Mind, I had a long dress on as well, which probably was making the situation a whole lot worse.

"Effie, I can't do it. You're going to have to ask Cinna if I can have flat soled shoes. I cant walk." I said, leaning against a nearby table. Effie sighed.

"Watch me and then try again. You must be able to. Every girl can." Effie said, standing up and giving me a demonstration. I stared at her, in exasperation mostly. "Watch how  place one foot after the other and how my back remains straight. Long strides shows power. Heel-toe is seductive. Small steps is naïve and shows innocence." She said. I didn't understand how walking can prove certain things such as seduction and power. Heavens, I had no clue as to why Effie thought small steps showed being naïve as such. My walk must have shown idiocy and unattractiveness.